1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ted Kennedy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by azom, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

You kill a person and never have to take responsibility for it, that kind of thing tends to linger.

I have a question: Should his involvement in Mary Jo Kopechne's death be ignored in the obits/profiles that are going to be written in the coming days and weeks? You can ceratinly write a lengthy one without it, but I really am curious if the journalists on this board think it should be left out.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

No doubt the Kopechne death -- and his battle with alcohol -- should and will be included in all that is written about him i the coming (NOT preceding) days.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

it shouldn't be ignored nor will it be. it was too big a part of his story. without it, is there much doubt the presidency would have been his, assuming he would've gone for it in '76?

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Don't think that is too big to assume at all, Shockey.

Of course, if JFK opted for the bubble top that day in Dallas and/or if RFK turns left behind the stage at the Ambassador Hotel instead of right, maybe the events that plagued Ted Kennedy never happen as well...

However, Kennedy's path to 2009 took so many odd turns (and, as I write that, no real pun intended there). If he is sitting in a different seat in a small plane in 1964, maybe he dies in that crash instead of others. If he makes better choices that night in 1969, maybe 'Chappaquiddick' doesn't happen. The following words do not excuse what happened with Mary Jo Kopechne but I cannot imagine the anguish and fear Ted Kennedy went through after seeing his two surviving brothers killed in the 1960's.

At least, by about 1982, he realizes that Chappaquiddick (and possibly the fear of his safety) would keep him from the Big Office and settled in to his Senate role. However, all of the incidents also play a real role in his story: 1969, alcoholism, the William Kennedy Smith situation.

The political cynic in me: Now we see why there was such a hurry on health care this summer. Once Franken was in, get that bill to the Senate while the number was at 60.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

In remembrance, I read these speeches.

They are a heart-crushing/-stirring reflection and realization of his role as the unintended patriarch of his incredible family.

The eulogies for RFK and JFK Jr., and the 1980 Democratic Convention speech with which he practically upstaged nomination winner Jimmy Carter are particularly memorable.

http://www.jfklibrary.org/Historical+Resources/Archives/Reference+Desk/Speeches/Speeches+of+Edward+M.+Kennedy.htm

What strength he must have had, especially when it came to his family. I remember reading once how he never missed a single wedding, graduation, or other significant milestone or major birthday party for any family member.

Considering his work schedule, public commitments and the sheer size of the family involved, that must have been quite a feat.

Also, I can't find it, but I remember reading about a card Kennedy kept in his office that was written up by JFK Jr. in appreciation of his uncle, thanking him for all his care and devotion "to all of us." It spoke of how few people really knew everything he'd always done for them, but that JFK Jr. did, and he thanked him for it.

Very poignant. I wish I could find it.

RIP, Ted, and condolences to the family. As big a loss as this is to the U.S. Senate and the country, it is undoubtedly an even greater one for the Kennedys.

And FWIW, I think he actually would have made a great president.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Why didn't he go for it in 1976? I guess he had a Senate re-election campaign that year, did he not? Was Chappaquiddick still too fresh in people's minds for him to have gone for it at that time?

As for 1980, my understanding is he ran a very poor campaign and deservedly got his ass handed to him.

Anyway, RIP.

Interesting to note that John Kerry, after 24 years, is finally his state's senior senator. Jay Rockefeller, who's been in the Senate the same amount of time, is still waiting for Robert Byrd to die.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I've disagreed with the man on nearly every issue. That said, I'm greatly saddened by this news. Because of the family he came from, he was an icon of America from the 1960s right to the end.

RIP, sir. You fought the good fight. We disagreed on just about everything, and your personal failings were pointed out on many occasions. But in passing you take with you a major part of US and World history during my lifetime.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I believe he gave a '76 presidential bid serious consideration, and his party definitely wanted him to be its candidate.

But Rose Kennedy supposedly did not want him to do it, and because of family considerations, he announced, publicly and officially, that he would not accept the nomination as the Democratic candidate.

But the clamor for him to run for election that year did not die down until then.

9. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

"I was terribly saddened to hear of the death of Ted Kennedy tonight.

Given our political differences, people are sometimes surprised by how close Ronnie and I have been to the Kennedy family. But Ronnie and Ted could always find common ground, and they had great respect for one another. In recent years, Ted and I found our common ground in stem cell research, and I considered him an ally and a dear friend. I will miss him.

My heart goes out to Vicki and the entire Kennedy family."

-- Nancy Reagan

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Now there is how you manage to memoralize someone without ignoring the differences you had with his political affiliation and personal choices.

Would be nice if HH and Scribe, as well as the other fringers who will descend upon this thread in the morning, took a page from your book.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Agree with BYH and Old Tony.

I disagree with plenty of people in politics -- some dear friends are state senators who are polar opposites of me -- but I always respect those with a passion for the political process. It's a nasty profession, where 95% of the positions are not worth the headaches (not unlike media, right?).

Sure, some may have an easier road in politics than others but the actual 'sausage making' of government and legislatures is not for the thin-skinned or sensitive.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

What struck me as we wedged a story in our paper tonight was that he was elected to the senate in 1962. I believe AP reported he was the third longest-serving senator.

Sure, the man had his faults, but Ted Kennedy remained a strong voice for workers, the people of Massachusetts and many other Americans until the end. I salute his service and ideals as I say RIP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.