1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Ted Gruszkowski

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hustle, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Hustle

Hustle Guest

It probably doesn't mean much to most people, but I know that it means something to some.

Ted Gruszkowski was a longtime bowling writer for us; he passed away on Sunday. I know he went all over the place to cover events, so perhaps he made some friends along the way that may happen to be here.

He was a wonderful person and a joy to be around; he had the seemingly rare quality of seeing the good in all of us and making us all feel better about ourselves.

He had a candy jar by his desk and he would always restock it when he came into the office later in the week. Everyone was welcome to partake - whether you'd been working here a day, a year or a decade. Most new folks would come up and ask if the candy was for anyone, Teddy would say 'of course!' and then introduce him.

There were always a few phrases he'd pull out. When we worked on his page, he'd tell us that we were a gentleman and a scholar (I'd always joke that I was neither, but thanks); we'd ask him how he was and he'd say, 'today is another day in which to excel' (I'd always joke that I regressed a little bit). But my cheesy comebacks always made him laugh; he said we kept him young.

Sadly, we couldn't keep him young enough.

Our world lost a sunny, wonderful spirit on Sunday.

RIP, Teddy, and thanks for all the smiles you brought us.
  2. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

oh wow...

r.i.p. teddy...
  3. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

No doubt, Ted was a gem of a guy, and the man loved his bowling. Nice tribute Hustle.
  4. patchs

patchs Active Member

Hustle, my sympathies to you and your paper.
    Sounds like he was a great guy to work with.
  5. ShaggyTB

ShaggyTB New Member

Worked with Ted forever ago. He was always upbeat, always courteous and a true ambassador for the sport of bowling. Hadn't heard from him in a decade, but I can still hear the "gentleman and a scholar" line. God bless you, Ted.
  6. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

There is a traditional ending to the "gentleman and scholar" line … "and there are very few of us left."

7. Keystone

Keystone Member

Ted was "Mr. Bowling" A true gentlemen.

He really was in it to promote the game, too, not just get his face in the paper.
  8. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

not everybody can cover bowling

and make bowling prose sing

ted was a bowling writer's bowling writer

r.i.p. ted
  9. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

Here is Ted's obit:
Draft saved Draft deleted