1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Suzanne Pleshette

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cape_Fear, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

RIP to a TV fave, but her voice scared me as a kid. Too butch, too intimidating. I always thought she was going to break Bob Newhart over her knee.

Having written that, I realize a lot of things scared me as a kid. That's going to be the title and subject matter of my next book Scared Me As A Kid.

Some chapters to consider ...

Chapter 1 ... Peppermint Patty and Marcie's relationship -- Understanding The Concept Of Lesbianism Before My Own Sexuality Flowered ... How Utterly Confusing.

Chapter 2 ... Fireworks -- Fuck You America, That Shit Scares The Fuck Out Of Me. This July 4 Stuff Is High-Grade Bullshit, I'm Hiding Under The Couch.

Chapter 3 ... The "Smiley Barn" on Highway 11 west of Burlington, Wis. -- Hey Farmer Asshead, Your Attempt At Roadside Friendliness Scarred Me For Life.

Chapter 4 ... Suzanne Pleshette's Voice -- You Don't Sound Like My Mom At All And That Frightens Me.

Damn. Come to think of it, this might be a helluva an idea for a book.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bubbler - i never understood it until now, but you're one complex individual.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Merton Hanks might be a good dark horse to turn to.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Very sad. My mother looks exactly like Suzanne Pleshette...same age too.

I never understood what Emily saw in Bob.

RIP.

5. Very fine and funny lady.
    RIP.
    (And, off topic, but don't you just wish you'd gone on family car trips with the bubbler family when young bubbler was a lad? "Darling, he's trying to wedge himself into the ashrtray again." bubbler -- The Cheesehead Woody Allen.)

6. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

All these posts and no mention of Oh God! Book II?

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

ewwww! i have the hots for 21's mom?! :eek: :eek: :eek:

8. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I remember a few years ago, I was half-buzzed and getting some groceries in the Bristol Farms supermarket (read: posh and overpriced, yet convenient) in Beverly Hills.

As I was checking out the canned goods or whatever-doesn't matter, I heard some outrageous laughter over in the next aisle.

I make my way over to the next aisle and there's Tom Poston and Suzanne Pleshette laughing their asses off in front of the bread section; Tom was holding a loaf of wheat bread. At that very moment, little did I know that a) Tom and Suzanne were married (I merely thought it was a great "Bob Newhart Show" moment) and b) that whole wheat bread was truly that funny.

Should I ever re-marry, I hope I have that much joy out of something so minute with someone I care about in my older years.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That is about as satisfying a post as I have read around here.

Thanks for sharing.

10. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Suzanne's voice may have scared some of you but I found it quite sexy. And I agree that the Newhart finale was incredibly inventive.

RIP Emily

By the way, does anybody know if Bill Daily is still alive?

11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Wasn't she in The Client with Brad Renfro?

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Newhart's characters had a knack for finding the hot wives who aged really well.

Draft saved Draft deleted