1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Stuart Scott

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pancamo, Jan 4, 2015.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Costas for sure (maybe not by ESPN, tho it would far from ignore his death). I don't think Berman will quite be remembered as lovingly, plus he hasn't been as much of a focal point for years and hasn't had a public cancer fight.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I don't know... Revolutionary has been thrown around a lot in the last 24 hours. I always saw it as he brought his own personality to SportsCenter, as did Patrick, Kilborn, Olbermann, Mayne and some others, and people seemed to like it. The only difference with Scott was, he was African-American.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, that's a big ole heaping helping of "the only difference." I think SportsCenter is a whole lot more Scott-esque than it is Patrick-esque, and is the diametric opposite of Olbermann-esque

4. RecoveringJournalist

If Robin Roberts died, I would kind of expect a similar reaction to this.

I hope this isn't coming across as callous, because I don't mean it to. I'm genuinely fascinated by the way the media covers instances such as this.

5. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I would have to know how Berman and Costas treated people. I think a lot of the outpouring yesterday was because most felt Scott was a good dude. The public battle of cancer also factors in quite a bit.

6. RecoveringJournalist

That was why Eisen's tribute resonated with me. I didn't like Scott because I thought it was pretty clear he had no respect for the print media.

Eisen is one of the nicest, classiest people in the business. If he cared for Scott as much as he obviously did, then that matters to me.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The Virginian-Pilot used a few of Scott's catchphrases in headlines on its sports cover today. Very cool.

"Romo as cool as the other side of the pillow"
    "Call the Monarchs butter, 'cause they're on a roll"
    "Booyah! Norfolk State's new coach eager to get to work, assemble staff"

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm fascinated too. The timing was impeccable for maximum coverage/impact, on an NFL Sunday morning. Had he died this afternoon, Eisen wouldn't have been on the NFL Network set nor would have the top ESPN talking heads. The networks would be compiling reaction for the evening shows and it would have been emotional but maybe not as raw. And would NFL stadiums have still had a moment of silence, five/six days later? Don't know.

9. RecoveringJournalist

Yeah, for maximum impact, the timing was incredible. I turned on NFL Network seconds before Eisen said, "I need to take a moment here." and it was a Holy shit moment.

It's a lot different than it being announced on the Wednesday afternoon SportsCenter.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's funny. As much as the "boo-yow!" stuff annoyed the shit out of us, the majority of the public seems to have loved it, because it made sports fun for them. Most people don't think of sports as work, like we do. They think of it as fun. And here was this guy on the highlights, looking like Urkel and tossing out black slang. I'm probably veering into overestimating his impact now, but I suspect he had at least some influence on helping make hip-hop, inner-city culture less scary for white people.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My Mom thought Scott was a terrific announcer, Dick, which sort of gets at your point.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The best sports announcer=world's tallest midget.

Draft saved Draft deleted