1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Stuart Scott

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pancamo, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Russert was the one I thought of, too, while this was going on yesterday. He was still regularly on the air at the time, though, and his death was unexpected.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I am I the only one who is a little creeped out by the advanced work in video tributes.

It reminds me of The Twilight Zone episode where the monument engraver was
    carving names in stone before people died. Show ends with him carving
    Abe Lincoln into stone a day before his death.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

They could have spun it as something they were going to use for the ESPYs.

4. RecoveringJournalist

Right, which somewhat justified the strong reaction.

I wonder if the reaction would have been as strong for more famous broadcasters like Berman or Patrick.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Scandal involving a media company: No comment

Tragedy involving a media company: overboard coverage

6. Dick Whitman

Yeah, but if you were on social media yesterday, non-media people were flipping out about Scott's death, as well. Maybe even morseso. Now you can say it's a chicken-or-egg thing, and that the coverage fueled the reaction. But on the face of it, people - and not just media people - seemed to be affected.

7. RecoveringJournalist

I think the reaction of the way Scott's death was reported caused the reaction to be what it was. I was incredibly touched by what Eisen said.

I also have a friend who used to work at ESPN who told me over and over again how much he couldn't stand Scott post a loving tribute to him with a sweet anecdote and about 150 likes on his FB page. I'm not saying he did anything wrong. I wasn't a Scott fan on any level, but I was very saddened by the news of his death.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

True. But, that's what happens on social media today.

A C-list celebrity could die, and you'd think it was the biggest news story ever if you paid attention to the folks on social media.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That's also what happens with D-list scandals

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

By revolutionary, I mean that he changed what would be seen as sports journalism. SportsCenter before Scott had some schtick at times, but the show with Tom Mees, Bob Ley and Gayle Gardner was like the evening news. And with Patrick, Olbermann and Kilborn, it was still mainly that way. Scott turned it into something else entirely, in many good ways (widening ESPN's audience, and widening its minds) and some bad (part of the blurring of the line between athlete and journalist, and spawning a legion of godawful imitators).

11. RecoveringJournalist

Does Chris Berman's death get as much coverage as what Scott got? Does Bob Costas?

I wonder if there are 10 members of the media who would get similar treatment. I'm talking pure members of the media, not celebrities/athletes turned members of the media.

12. Dick Whitman

It's tough to determine that without context that is unknowable. Scott battled cancer pretty publicly for nearly a decade, if I'm not mistaken. Like Jim Valvano, he made a memorable speech about his fight against it near the end of his life. People had invested in his battle.

Matt Lauer and Jon Stewart are the two, to me, that could go suddenly like Russert did and get that kind of outpouring.

Draft saved Draft deleted