1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Stuart Scott

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pancamo, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was 99 percent of the ire. And it was well-earned by Scott.

Nonetheless, he was a true original on the air and appears to have left behind many who adored him as a friend. He didn't understand what we do, and the way he expressed it was wrong. But that's obviously hardly the whole of the man.

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Like many on here, I wasn't a big fan of his style, but I don't recall many criticisms of his dedication and effort toward his job. Or toward his personality or attitude toward people on the job (outside of the "Fuck them Ray" incident).

But, mainly, I'm just incredibly saddened to see a guy cut down in what should still be the prime of his career. RIP.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Rick Reilly had this first on Twitter.

(too soon?)

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yup -moderators need to stay above the fray and lead by example.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yes, I know you really look up to our leadership.

That Reilly line was one of those unforgettable Scott moments for me. I always hoped that when the lights went back off that he told Reilly how ridiculous that sounded.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Very sad news. He was among my favorites during his early years, though I liked the schtick less as I grew older. As Keyshawn Johnson noted, he was pioneer in the way he brought an urban edge to a sports broadcast that hadn't previously existed, and his work definitely inspired many who followed.

7. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

My thoughts as well....

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

bigpern23 likes this.
  9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That was my reaction upon watching it. I was wondering about it since somebody mentioned Eisen's reaction earlier in the thread, then a former co-worker of mine who is now at ESPN posted it on Facebook.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My children were both more affected than myself, and I was of course sad. They grew up with him. To me, he was a contemporary. A big difference.

Draft saved Draft deleted