1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Stuart Scott

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pancamo, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

He always had one eye toward heaven. RIP.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The fact they had all these taped segments in the can means they had to have been working on these tributes for months.

Sad deal. RIP.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

My son is at that age where he has his favorite ESPN anchors and Stuart Scott was always at the top of his preferred anchor list.

In my sports anchor days, I also met Stuart Scott a few times. Good guy. Definitely a big time "personality" but he recognized the impact that he had.

Here is how cancer resets everything. Talking with our son today amid the coverage, I told him, for the ten years I was a sports anchor, Stuart Scott had everything that I wanted for my career. The job. The visibility. The stage for creativity.

Yet, because of cancer, today, Stuart Scott has nothing that I want. Fuck cancer.

He will miss the true "sweet spot" of life because of this awful disease. However, for 49 years, Stuart Scott lived a remarkable life and left an influence that won't be forgotten anytime soon.

RIP Stu. Thank you for being a pioneer in our field and all of the energy you brought in each sportscast.

4. exmediahack

Yup. Especially when they brought Dan Patrick in -- that usually requires legions of legal experts to pull off since he left Bristol.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

R.I.P. to one of the very few people one ever encounters who's a true revolutionary. He knew how to do his thing; too bad he begat many who did/do it godawfully. I imagine there a lot of walking back of stuff among many sjers; this was a guy who was villianized a helluva lot more than lionized here

FileNotFound likes this.
  6. exmediahack

True.

When he was first diagnosed, I remember a lot of "hope he beats this" prefaced with "he was never my favorite" or "I never liked his style".

That's part of the deal in TV when you are a revolutionary. Some like you, some don't. I think almost everyone here was able to separate the sports anchor's style from the man himself.

However, I think from all of the criticism that Scott received when he came on the scene, the poor imitators in his wake (as there were for Olbermann -- I was one of these -- and Kilborn and Dan Patrick) often lead people to appreciate "the original", even if it wasn't a style everyone liked. Stuart Scott... definitely an original.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

A lot of the SJ villianizing had to do with his " hey Ray fuck them" quote directed at the print media grilling Ray Lewis
    on Super Bowl media day.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't know about revolutionary, but he certainly had an impact, before and after his battle with cancer became public. Whatever your opinion of his approach, this sucks.

R.I.P.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

RIP to a personality and a talent. I will always remember his spirit.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Probably not. There are a lot of people who disliked his schtick. Today isn't the day to talk about it.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Whatever the format, Stu brought "It" every night. Thought he especially thrived as an anchor on-location, with a keen ability to deliver real-time stats that told the real story.

See ya, Stu. Thank You. Give us a sign when you find out if the Great Beyond is cooler than the other side of the pillow.

12. Oh my God.
    I Feel bad for laughing.

Draft saved Draft deleted