1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Steve Sabol

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Sep 18, 2012.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I wonder what will happen to NFL flms. I read somewhere there is a political and stylistic dispute between the NFL Network guys and the NFL Films guys. I wonder if NFL films is now rolled into NFL Network.

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

The November wind is like a pirate. RIP to a legend.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep. True here.

Long before instant highlights and full-game replays were popular, Sabol and NFL Films produced something called the NFL Game of the Week, a half-hour breakdown of one good game, complete with insights, different camera angles, music, the whole bit. Back in the pre and early cable days, it was like watching a game that didn't air in your market the previous Sunday. Was syndicated on different stations in different markets.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Kids back then even tried to run in slow motion like we saw Jim Taylor and Franco Harris do it on TV, with Facenda's voice rolling like thunder. The Sabols gave us decades of thrills.

5. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

One of the great things NFL Movies ever did.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I really thought I was the only kid who did that. Saturday morning in my junior Raider uni with pads, helmet and pants rolling all over the front lawn emulating Stabler lofting that pass to Clarence Davis...Freddy B hauling one in with two toes inching toward the sideline, Stabler and the Holy Roller...

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I don't think this is just a pre-ESPN thing, y'all. I grew up on "NFL Films Presents" airing on ESPN or ESPN2 every single afternoon in the 1990s. Watched 'em almost every day in the summer. Like Batman, I developed somewhat of an encyclopedic knowledge of the first 25 Super Bowls that way. And I had a friend who could do a fantastic Facenda when we were playing touch football in the street.

RIP to the man who taught me more about football history than anyone else on the planet.

8. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Agreed. Like I said, Sabol introduced me to the NFL and I was born in 1985.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

absolutely.

10. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

All things are better in moderation and I think we were better off when we just got to see the NFL Films weekend highlights or halftime highlights. Now, every game, highlight, replay is over exposed like a Kardashian. And along with that overexposure is too much talk and analysis. Give me a 30-minutes NFL Films summation of the previous Sunday's games narrated by Facenda.
    Sincerely,
    Dinosaur

11. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

"The game starts with a whistle ... and ends with a gun."

And this

12. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

The obit from SI: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/09/18/steve-sabol.ap/index.html

Those films are great to watch and reflect on. Was in a bar yesterday when Steve Sabol's picture flashed on the screen, but none of us at the table saw anything to indicate why he was being shown, and of course, it was not easy to hear. So to see this RIP notice is shocking, just shocking....and sad. RIP, Mr. Sabol.

Draft saved Draft deleted