1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Steve Sabol

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

He's not in the HOF?!?! I just assumed he was I guess. That might be the biggest HOF snub in any sport anywhere.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I couldn't believe how long it took his dad to get in the hall.

RIP to an NFL legend.

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Next to Marvin Miller, yes.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

And Chris Berman is??

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I don't think there is a single sports fan in the pre-ESPN era who cannot say they were impacted by NFL Films' interpretation of the game. RIP.

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

Damn. So very sad.

RIP, Mr. Sabol.

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

We pretty much know why Marvin Miller isn't in Baseball's Hall of Fame. Most of us vehemently disagree, but we know the reason.

Sabol's omission from the PFHOF is a head-scratcher.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This.
    Was there a kid alive in the 1970s and 80s who didn't imagine they were O.J., Earl Campbell, Billy Sims or Barry Sanders running in slow motion with a football?
    At one point, I had a creepy, encyclopedic knowledge of the first 20 Super Bowls thanks to the annual ESPN marathon of NFL Films highlight reels on Super Bowl eve.
    Sabol certainly influenced more than a couple generations of football fans. RIP to a legend, whose legend will live on for as long as we have footage of a drunken Max McGee splitting the Chiefs' defense, Hank Stram and his rolled-up play sheet, obnoxious Steelers fans singing Pittsburgh's goin' to the Su-per Bowl!" and Barry Sanders turning a Patriots defender around three times with one juke.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

RIP.

I can't imagine what it's like for a 96-year-old man to bury his son.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This has to be a generational thing. We even used to do the John Facenda imitations. "There's glory in the legends of this hard-muscle life, and there's poetry in each season made of sweat and strife."

11. mocheeks10

mocheeks10 Member

65 Toss Power Trap

RIP

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I guess heaven needed someone to matriculate the ball down the field.

Draft saved Draft deleted