1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Steve Ellis

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Wendy Parker, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I'm really sad to hear about Steve.

Like everyone else has written here, he really was a great guy, and very helpful. I remember coming into Tallahassee for football games or baseball regionals and he was always friendly, a good guy. And he did a nice job for the Democrat. Really in tune with FSU sports.

Tim's story about Steve going to the U.S. Track and Field trials to cover that one FSU kid pretty much summed it up.

I haven't seen Steve in a few years, but he'll be missed by a lot of us.

Condolences to the Ellis family.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I'm so shocked by this, especially coming on the heels of a Peace Corps colleague also dying this week.

I didn't know Steve professionally at all, but I grew up in Tallahassee and read his work.

Condolences to his family.

3. RIP Steve. Terrible news.

4. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

This line in the story made me incredibly sad:

There was a time I would have admired that. When I was in my 20s and believed there was no greater calling than newspapers and no greater fun than watching a big story roll off the presses. Today I watch my friends who loved newspapers their whole lives get laid off and cast aside, and read about a much-loved man putting off critical medical care to file a story that will be forgotten in a matter of hours or days.

Save your love for someone that will love you back, ladies and gents. Don't let the paper be your life.

And rest in peace, Steve.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow... Hadn't seen him in years, but knew him pretty well several years back...

Awful news... Man that sucks...

RIP

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Terrible news

7. spud

spud Member

Looks like they had a moment of silence for him before the Maryland game today. Pretty neat.

8. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

There was also a moment of silence for Steve and Virginia assistant sports information director Michael Colley (who died of a heart attack last summer) before the Clemson-Virginia game today. Steve was a Clemson grad before becoming a fixture on the FSU beat. Very sad.

9. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Horrible. The business lost a great one.

R.I.P, Steve.

And I echo Jersey_Guy: Save your love for someone that will love you back, ladies and gents. Don't let the paper be your life.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

His seat was left vacant in the box at Saturday's game.

11. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Nice move, FSU.

Steve was such a great guy and class act. He'll be missed.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Also will be a journalism scholarship at FSU in his name. Bowden will speak at a memorial service Tuesday.

Draft saved Draft deleted