1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Steve Boros

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

As nice a guy as I've ever encountered in MLB:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20101230/SPORTS0104/12300455/1129/sports0104/Ex-Tiger-Steve-Boros-dies-at-74

Managed briefly in Oakland and San Diego, but he was far too nice and didn't last long in those jobs.

[​IMG]

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

RIP. I remember when people scoffed at him for his use of computers and analysis to assist his decision making. The guy was ahead of the curve.

The story about how he noted what Eck throws on 3-2 counts scouting the A's for the Dodgers and how it helped Gibson in the 88 Series, Game 1 is a great story. It still pisses me off as an A's fan - but the guy was knew his stuff.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I thought it was Mel Didier who scouted that nugget about Eck.

RIP.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I went "Omigod!" till I realized the agent has an "a" before the "s." But still, R.I.P.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And a c, o and extra t. :)

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Recall him being Whitey's pitching coach in Kansas City. RIP.

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

The one thing I remember about him was when he was Padres skipper in 1986:

There was a game where the gentlemanly Steve Garvey was ejected from the game, the only time in his entire career that happened. He was the on-deck hitter when there was a play at the plate. The Padres runner was called out because the ump said he missed home plate on his slide. Garvey drew a line in the dirt right by the plate, claiming that's where the runner hit the edge of his plate with his hand, and then told the ump to "bear down." The ump then tossed him.

The next night, Boros came to home plate for the lineup exchange and offered the umps a videotape showing the disputed play from the previous night. He was immediately ejected before the game even started.

Draft saved Draft deleted