1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Stefanie Spielman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Nov 19, 2009.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I truly don't want to make light of the topic, but this is the first time I've read the words "reputable Twitter feeds".

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Been a big fan of Spielman's for years, even if he broke some of the records my mom's cousin set at tOSU back in the day. I like listening to him on ESPN, and hope for all the best with him and his family.

3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Damn. Damn. Damn.

Cancer sucks.

What really grinds me is that studies came out this week saying that women should delay mammograms until they're 50 and that pap smears aren't as important as people thought.

Bullshit.

This crap can strike at any age. That's a slap in the face to women/girls everywhere - including my teenage daughter.

I want to extend my deepest sympathies to Chris and his family. I know what it's like to lose your wife way too young - mine died at age 42 of complications of a stroke Nov. 12, 2008 - yes, the one-year anniversary was last Thursday. It's not easy. It still isn't. You've got to keep soldiering on for the kids' sake - you have to. Things get better over time, but I still miss her, and I'm sure it will take Chris time to heal, too.

I know I was bouncing all over the place, but when you've got a lot of different emotions ...

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

What a tragedy....especially as a bunch of bureaucrats are telling women they don't need mammograms or self-exams until 50.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not to threadjack too far, but I only caught a bit of a report on that. Sounds like insurance companies not wanting to pay for the tests to me. Anybody telling people to be less cautious about cancer needs to STFU.

RIP Stephanie

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Wow. This is awful.

Cancer is a heartless bitch. RIP.

7. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

cuck fancer.

I hate you and all your wretchedness.

RIP, Mrs. Spielman.

Thoughts are with you, Chris

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Lumps aren't all to look for. This video got e-mailed to me today. I hope every woman watches this, as graphic as it is.

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I really respected Chris growing up playing football. Did not know that about his wife (did hear she had cancer, but did not know her first diagnoses was at 30). Talk about courage and facing adversity.

RIP.

10. I know exactly how you feel, Layman. I am married to a 1-year survivor who was diagnosed at the age of 29. (She's a BRCA1 carrier.) It shakes me up every time I read stories like these. When I saw this on the wire yesterday, I said "Oh, no," out loud.
    Along those same lines, thank-you for sharing your story. For as gut-wrenching as it is to hear about this kind of stuff, it helps so much to hear stories like your wife's.

God bless the Spielmans. So, so heart-breaking.
    And selfishly, God bless your and my families, Layman.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Beautiful Lisa Olson Column

http://lisa-olson.fanhouse.com/2009/11/20/spielmans-special-story-of-love-and-life/?icid=main|main|dl8|link1|http%3A%2F%2Flisa-olson.fanhouse.com%2F2009%2F11%2F20%2Fspielmans-special-story-of-love-and-life%2F

Have the Kleenex box close.

12. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

There was a nice tribute to Stefanie on the telecast of the OSU-Michigan game. Will McDonough (hope I spelled it right), the play-by-play guy, choked up.

Draft saved Draft deleted