1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Stefanie Spielman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Nov 19, 2009.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

No link (I am on cellphone), but I saw several reputable Twitter feeds reporting her death from breast cancer at age 42.

I've always hated Ohio State, but I could never hate Chris Spielman. He was a terrific linebacker and is an even better man.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Crap. Everything Pope said, ditto.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Wow... that's awful... RIP.. Spielman was devoted to her...

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I remember the most excellent Mitch Albom story he wrote about the couple. Ran around Christmas 1998. MitchAlbom.com has it on their website, but you have to register to view the archives.

Powerful stuff.

5. Mystery Meat II

And here's the Columbus Dispatch story

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2009/11/19/stefanie-spielman-loses-cancer-battle.html

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

She was a journalism major at OSU.

Really sad for the four kids who just lost their mother.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

A true measure of man is when he is devoted to his wife.
    Pope echoed my sentiments. Spielman loved his wife to no end and would run through a wall for her as he would for Ohio State.

This is truly sad news to hear.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I remember when Chris shaved his head as a show of solidarity after Stefanie lost her hair from chemo. A lot of people do that now, but he was the first one I ever heard of doing it. Such a cool gesture.

A great player and I admire him as a broadcaster as well. Damn. Life sucks sometimes.

9. Mystery Meat II

The Albom story to which I referred (it's kind of wonky to navigate): http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1347&dat=19981226&id=NtsSAAAAIBAJ&sjid=r_wDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4108,2409177

10. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

F*ck.

I'm a lifelong Buckeye fan, but FAR more importantly, I'm the husband of a 10 year breast cancer survivor. My wife and Stefanie were diagnosed, in a very similar fashion mere months apart. Fortunately, my wife has continued cancer free, since.

We've taken the Buckeye Cruise for Cancer, in support of Stefanie's foundation, on two occasions. We met Stefanie and Chris, had some wonderful conversations...even shed a few tears.

Stefanie was an amazing advocate, and simply defined grace and courage. This news is heart breaking.

RIP Stefanie. God's peace and understanding to you, Chris.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm so happy for your wife, Layman. Congratulations on 10 years of survival, and hopes for decades more.

12. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Thanks, IJAG. My wife's far more couraeous than I could ever hope to be.

Can't remember the exact quote attributed to Chris, but he was once asked about being tough & how "courageous" it was, for him to come back from his neck injury. His response (again...VERY roughly paraphrasing) was that he wasn't tough. His wife waiting for biopsy results...THAT was toughness.

Draft saved Draft deleted