1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Stan Musial

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

If that were true, you wouldn't have even brought him up and how he threw away legend status for money.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Please explain this theory further.

3. joe

joe Active Member

The two have nothing to do with each other. I can appreciate — hell, celebrate — what Pujols did while still saying he gave away his immortal status in St. Louis for more money.

I don't begrudge Pujols the money. Hell, I'd take it, too. I'm just saying he will never be on the same level in St. Louis as Musial.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I think he would have been on the same level if he stays in St. Louis, that's how great Pujols is.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think what you're really saying is immortal status doesn't hinge on playing ability. Red Schoendienst and Dizzy Dean probably fall second and third among Cardinals legends because of their popularity and lasting impact on the franchise.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There was a stat in the MLB Network piece on Musial. He was a living Hall of Famer for 43 years, almost half his life. He was a Cardinal player for another 25 percent of his life. He lived his entire adult life in St. Louis. That kind of impact on one place just isn't going to happen anymore.
    By way of contrast, there was a story in the Wall Street Journal's Mansions section Friday informing you that you could buy Barry Bonds' crib in Beverly Hills for only $25 million. PEDs aside, what fan is going to think Bonds was part of the same enterprise they are?

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Stan Musial died today.
    He was one of the best ever.

Who gives a damn about the pissing contests?

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It's too soon to talk about legacy control!

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Because, Rip, we must point out, apparently, that people who made their careers out of baseball didn't know anything about baseball.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He had nothing on Biggio.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Riptide, sad but true, upon one's death, you belong to the historians. So arguments start. Here's one thing that's interesting. By all accounts, Musial was a happy man the course of his very long life. Williams had an amazing life. But I'm not sure you'd call it a happy one.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Is that so hard to believe? We constantly are improving our understanding of all things. People who made their careers out of biology didn't properly understand biology until Charles Darwin came along.

Moreover, I abhor the concept of any two things being exactly equal with regards to a subjective judgment. You may like to tell people you like chocolate peanut butter ice cream and butter pecan ice cream the same amount, but that cannot be true because we are creatures of preference. It's intellectually dishonest to say Ted Williams and Stan Musial were exact equals.

Draft saved Draft deleted