1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Stan Musial

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Their peers didn't evaluate baseball properly. Or they were lying because it's easier to hedge and say they were equal.

2. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Pujols still should be a St. Louis immortal. He won two titles and hit 445 homers for them. Cardinals fans need to get over it.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Only 142 errors on 13,399 chances.

4. joe

joe Active Member

Pujols might some day get a statue, but it won't stand next to Stan's, and it will be the size of the other small statues outside Busch. I'm most definitely not arguing that Pujols was great while in St. Louis; by far the best player I've seen in my lifetime.

And you're obviously not a Cardinals fan, Uncle. True Cardinals fans got over Pujols leaving within 24 hours of the deal going down.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Every time you leave the decimal points off your slash lines, I throw a dart at a Michael Jordan voodoo doll.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Versatile, think about what you just wrote. All of baseball in the 1940s and 1950s didn't know what it was doing because of some marginal differences in some statistics that were invented after the fact. That's just plain nuts. This was these people's livelihoods. They had an intense interest in being right, and I'll bet that just like today, some were right most of the time, most were right about the half the time, and some were seldom right.
    I know this. No Cardinal owner got drunk at Toot Shor's and agreed to trade Musial for DiMaggio.
    Ruckus, I agree with you about Pujols. If a club wants a player to become a statute outside the park today, it's on them to make it happen. God, if there'd been free agency in Williams' day, Ted would've changed teams more often than a European soccer star.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm not arguing that to be true or not, Joe, but here's an equivalent: Mike Piazza.

Finally, here was a Dodgers Hall of Famer for *my* generation. Then he wasn't a Dodger.

I wasn't over that the next day. I don't think many Dodgers fans were, either.

But maybe it was different in St. Louis.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I know what I said. Anyone who honestly thinks Stan Musial was exactly as good as Ted Williams does not know how to evaluate baseball players.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Musial vs. DiMaggio is also an interesting comparison.

10. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Those numbers are monstrously different. One is a Hall of Famer, an all-time great...the other has legend status. It isn't even close.

11. joe

joe Active Member

Different in St. Louis because as fans, we knew we got the absolute best Pujols had to offer, and it wasn't going to get better as he got older. Plus, without Pujols taking up 15 percent to 18 percent of the payroll every year for 10 years, it allows the Cardinals to stay good and put a competitive team on the field year after year.

Two Series titles in three trips, three MVPs and one mammoth blast against Brad Lidge. Yeah, Pujols never will be forgotten in St. Louis. But his leaving isn't mourned.

12. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Ludicrous. One guy doesn't win titles in any team sport, and even the ones who almost do, the Jordans, the Wilts...baseball doesn't work that way.

Draft saved Draft deleted