1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Stacy Robinson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, May 10, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Stacy Robinson, a wide receiver who won two Super Bowls with the New York Giants before working with the players' union, has died after a battle with cancer. He was 50.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Thanks

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

He was a great receiver for North Dakota State. Not big numbers, but during the time when they almost never threw the ball.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/nfl/150880345.html

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I saw that NDSU team in '83, covered them in the D-II quarters. They ran a devastating veer.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

At first I thought you meent the former Northern Illinois QB, who was a very good option QB in the late 80s-early 90s.

Wasn't Don Morton Robinson's coach at NDSU?

6. jr/shotglass

Yes, he was. Morton took over from Jim Wacker in 1979.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Invocation of Don Morton's name makes Wisconsin fans break into a panic. He almost single-handedly destroyed football at UW. To understand how far Wisconsin has come is to understand how low they were under Morton, when they could barely draw 40K a game.

8. jr/shotglass

Yeah, he was pretty much disastrous there. But man, his NDSU offense was just breathtaking. One of those veers where the QB would hold onto the ball 6 yards past the line of scrimmage before making the pitch to the trail back.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I think Gary Barta, who has had about four AD jobs in the last 10 years - is he at Iowa State now? - was the QB on those NDSU teams.

10. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Aw man, this is a big bummer. As a 10-year-old at the time, the '86 Giants were the first real team that I noticed, because my father was/is such a fan. The sheer joy he felt after Super Bowl XXI is something I'll always remember.

I could be wrong but the wide receivers on that team weren't the focal points. You didn't hear about Stacy and Bobby Johnson and Lionel Manuel as much as you heard about Mark Bavaro and Joe Morris.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

When he was with the Giants, Parcells focused heavily on the run game, except for his first couple of years when, in '83, the Giants sucked and had to throw because they were behind, and '84, when for half a season, they still thought Butch 'frickin Woolfolk was the answer at running back.

By '85, they were pounding it out with Morris. Manuel was a pretty good receiver, but never really racked up big numbers (just one 1,000-yard season), and was injury prone.

Robinson had one pretty good year in '86 after Manuel got hurt, but was basically a third and fourth receiver after that.

RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted