1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, St. Louis Cardinals' playoff hopes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, May 6, 2007.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I guess I'm as much a Cards fan as any other team, but I think they're toast. If they can somehow manage to stay within 8-10 games of the postseason race by August, and if Carpenter and Mulder both come back then and pitch reasonably well, they have an outside chance. But 30+ games into the season, they're already 8 back in their own division. It doesn't seem likely that they won't slip farther behind, probably far enough that it won't matter if Carpenter and Mulder return.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Cardinals today are 6 1/2 out of the wild card. Nats are 10 1/2 out. Just saying.

3. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

In this economic climate, you can't stay on top forever unless you're the Yankees and Red Sox. It caught up to the Braves for one season and now the Cardinals. They're still the best-run franchises in the game.

The Cards have five LCS trips, two WS trips and a championship this decade. That's a pretty good run.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Uhh ... no they don't. The Brewers current lead in the division is their largest of any kind since '87.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

The last line is why I'm OK with the current state of the club. The Cardinals have had a helluva run, I know the LCS isn't going to happen EVERY year. I also know St. Louis will make moves to be a contender in the very near future.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I was saying this in ST, and everyone here called me crazy because they are the champs. They weren't that good last year either, they got hot at the right time, and everything broke their way. That won't happen for a whole season.

7. formulacola

formulacola Member

Also can't seem to recall too many times in the past 15 years that the Brewers have been 11 over in early May.

Draft saved Draft deleted