1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, St. Louis Cardinals' playoff hopes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, May 6, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

A year ago today I pronounced the Braves dead (http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/26370/). Today, it's the Cardinals' turn.

Cardinals, you are now 8 games out of first and have the second-worst record in the National League. Your best pitcher, Chris Carpenter, will miss most of the season, if not all of it. The rest of your starting staff has combined for a 5.00+ ERA. You're also dealing with the distractions from the drunk-driving death of one of your relievers.

Last year you barely got into the playoffs, then surprised everyone by going all of the way. Be proud of that, because you are now finished.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

End well, their season will not.

3. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Seriously, what are the odds that both Suppan AND Marquis would start both of their seasons out as well as what they have? But still, shame on Jocketty for not going after some more pitching or line-up protection for Pujols. I think the warranties for Edmonds and Rolen have expired a while ago.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And that's perfectly fine with me.

5. Royals fans love company.

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Nope. Most of just can't fucking stand St. Louis, and that was before LaRussa got there.

7. No shit. Herzog and LaRussa were winners.

8. Only the Cardinals and Nationals have failed to score 100 runs so far this season. The Cardinals went into the day with just 87 runs scored this season. The Nationals went into today with 91. The Pirates went over 100 runs today.

Management could have re-signed Jeff Suppan but they didn't. Management could have foreseen the offense going completely in the tank this year but they did nothing about it. Seriously - did the Cardinals really think their aging players would be OK? Did they not see the perils of declining performance due to age? Their big move last offseason was re-signing Jim Edmonds (who is hitting just .200 with a lower slugging % than Adam Kennedy). And they gave him a 2-year contract even though he's 37 and there are a number of quality CF free agents this year (Ichro, A. Jones, T Hunter).

9. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Of all teams did you have to pick the Cardinals to label RIP with the playoffs?

10. Too soon? ::)

11. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Maybe he could have thrown out the Devil Rays?

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

A World Series win is so damn tough . . . . it buys a franchise a lot of time. If the Dodgers ever manage to win the World Series again, I would gladly take five subsequent years of no playoffs.

In other words, I shed no tears for the Cards. And they need no tears.

Draft saved Draft deleted