1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Sports Illustrated photo department

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 23, 2015.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I used to start at the back page and then read cover to cover. I'm finding now that I flip through it, maybe chuckle at the sign of the apocalypse or a pithy quote and discard it in under 10 minutes. The writing has already suffered quite a bit. Hopefully the photography does not suffer as much (many magazines are able to successfully rely on freelancers).

Rusty Shackleford likes this.
  2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Hell, SI can just have its reporters shoot their own photos now.

Can't be that hard, right?

3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I enjoy Rushin. Some issues are better than others but I don't think it's awful.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I wish "I don't think it's awful" wasn't a baseline for keeping a magazine, but I agree. It's wafer-thin now but there's still at least one good read every week. Golf Plus is still worthwhile too, especially the special editions for the majors.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Amen.

6. jaxson5

jaxson5 Member

SI was always a dream for me when I was in J-school. Reilly was my idol and inspiration until he sold out. The photography influenced me to buy a camera and start shooting. I managed to get a few small shots in the mag a few years ago for a small wire, and it was the best feeling in the world. My connections have all but shriveled up now, I can't find a writing or photo gig for my life. But I still subscribe to SI (digital only) but mainly to look at the images and see who shot them. I'll read a story here and there, but it's not what it once was.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

8. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

cazneuve is a great guy who knows his stuff. hope he finds a proper landing spot

9. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

I agree with this in every respect except the spelling of his name. But Caz would understand.

10. EddieM

EddieM Member

Draft saved Draft deleted