1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Sports Illustrated photo department

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 23, 2015.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Joe, you hit this one out of the ballpark.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Every time I read shit like this I resent the fact that my monthly cable bill keeps increasing because outlets like ESPN keep
    increasing their monthly charge to the cable companies.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

They should relocate now. They could be 15 minutes from Tahoe.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Aren't they already 15 from Tahoe?

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I catch your drift but in reality what they pay Screamin' A is a pittance of what they paid for the CFB playoff and other stuff, so that's your bill increase. They could hire 100 more of him and it wouldn't sniff the live programming bills.

6. Boom_70

Agreed but the point is that ESPN really has a blank check and can afford to pay silly money to Steven A for crappy programing. Also give them the ability to produce
    a magazine that for the most part is a bi weekly advertisement for the network. Unlike SI it doesn't matter if it makes money or not.

The day is coming though when people get tired of paying exorbitant cable bills for programing they don't want. Other options are starting
    to become available.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Then don't pay it.

8. Boom_70

But if you want cable you don't really have a choice.

9. Boom_70

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I recently resubscribed to SI for the first time in probably six years and was immediately disappointed by the steep drop in quality. Smaller issues, too much trendy, quick-hit type content and the back page is no longer the first page I read (Reilly was busy plagiarizing himself the last few years and it was still better than what's there now).

This is definitely disappointing news. Walter Iooss Jr. weeps.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

You're just one cycle behind me. I had been a subscriber for a long time until letting mine lapse last month. The decline in quality no longer was tolerable -- I suppose I noticed the descent quite a while back but stayed out of habit -- and having me on the circulation didn't seem to stop any cutbacks in staff, page count or anything else.

There are better options for what I need, and as far as what I want in sports coverage, the various outlets and my tastes have changed to make SI a low priority.

bigpern23 likes this.
  12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I haven't subscribed in almost 10 years after reading it my entire life. It was getting worse when I bagged it, but it is not even worth looking at anymore. A decent story now and again, but the little tidbit shit is useless.

bigpern23 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted