1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Spider-Man's marriage . . . . (WARNING!! Geek Thread!!!!)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 10, 2008.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Wow.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Approves of this idea:

[​IMG]

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Spidey will soon be racing with destiny.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Moment_in_Time_%28comics%29

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Proof that thoughts really don't change...I saw this thread, and since the previous account was mercy-killed, when I hit new, it took me to the first post and I didn't look at the time stamp.

And I thought "Did you really have to say "Geek thread?" I mean, it says Spider-Man right there!"

*sigh*

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's been a while, but I still hate what Marvel did as much as ever. I went from a reader of every single issue of Spider-Man to somebody who picks it up once in a while. I still love the character, but the entire change to get rid of Spidey's marriage was lazy, sloppy storytelling.

Marvel's Editor-in-Chief (I think that is the title) believed that they could tell better stories if Spider-Man was back to being single. That was lazy part No. 1, undoing the inconvenient status quo rather than telling good stories within it. While they were at it, they undid his public unmasking. More laziness.

Then, instead of having the guts to kill her off or have the marriage fail, they chose this deal-with-the-devil crap, which basically pisses on anybody who bothered to read the stories about the marriage. Mary Jane was a part of many Spider-Man stories, such as his time with the New Avengers and the Marvel Civil War. Take away the marriage and those stories are changed. Marvel is just ignoring all that and hoping readers will forget. That being the sloppy part.

Yes, I'm a geek. And yes, I do get annoyed when I spend money to read stories only to have them undone.

6. outofplace

Almost forgot. Those "better" stories with Peter Parker as a single guy? Meh. Mostly crap. The Black Cat stuff was fun, but she's always fun when written well. In fact, she's more fun when Spider-Man has to say no to her.

7. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Gwen Stacy was smokin hot, demonstrably so.

Mary Jane was a slut, which is why Pete went for it.

8. outofplace

Ha. It was before my time reading the book, but I don't think he ever chose Mary Jane over Gwen. They finally got together for good well after Gwen was killed.

And Mary Jane was a slut? Gwen banged Norman Osborne! (In truly the worst story in Spider-Man history. Yes, even worse than Brand New Day or the Clone Saga.)

9. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I used to read Spider-Man when I was 10. Hit this thread out of curiosity, and I must say, all of the good writers must be stuck back in the 80s with that collection of torn up comics I had.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

For the record, there was no Mary Jane until after Gwen was killed. I'm a comic book purist and I had the edition Gwen was killed. (Man, why didn't I keep those comics?)

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Protip: Your comic is no longer considered to be in mint condition if the pages are stuck together. ;)

12. outofplace

Drip, you may be a purist, but your information is dead wrong. Mary Jane Watson's first full appearance was in Amazing Spider-Man #42, though she was first mentioned in issue #15 and she showed up with her face obscured in other issues. That first full appearance was her famous line, "Face it, Tiger....You just hit the jackpot."

Gwen Stacy was killled much later, in Amazing Spider-Man #121, apparently for the exact same reason that Peter Parker's marriage to Mary Jane was undone -- the powers-that-be didn't want a married Spider-Man.

Draft saved Draft deleted