1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Spider-Man's marriage . . . . (WARNING!! Geek Thread!!!!)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

And RIP, any storytelling credibility Marvel ever had.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/news/2008-01-09-spider-man-marriage_N.htm?imw=Y&loc=interstitialskip

Basically, a decade after rightfully killing off Aunt May because of old age (then bringing back the old biddy with the explanation of "It was a CLONE!!!!!!"), now Peter and Mary Jane make a deal with Mephisto: keep a dying Aunt May alive, and in return he would erase all memory of their marriage.

Yes, Mephisto.

So basically, to save a lady who has been living on borrowed time since Day One of the comic (I would estimate that at about 15 years of continuity), they agree to erase their life together. Yeah, that makes sense.

I still have the original comic from when Spider-Man got married. I was 12 at the time, but I thought it was pretty neat that they were willing to go beyond the easy "Peter's a dork by day, but a hero by night!!!!" storytelling, and have the dork not only get the girl, but a supermodel. It's called "character development". A lot of the old guard types at Marvel never liked the marriage, preferring for Spidey to be a dork; likely because they never got the girl.

Well, there are geeks here on this site; we are legion. And many of us got the frackin' girl. And to see that finally those Marvel idiots got what they wanted . . .ugh.

Geek rant over.

2. FightScribe

FightScribe Member

Loser. [/Guy with a Cobra Kai avatar]

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

They should have made a deal with this guy ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Comic book writers and editors basically hates the wimmen.

Essentially, they're there to fill out spandex suits, then get killed (or turned into sluts).

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Dumber than taking away Storm's powers, dumber than killing off Superman.

6. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

With all the clone shit going on, and people coming back from the dead, etc., these kind of revelations are rarely earth-shattering anymore...

I haven't read the comic regularly in about 12 years (about the time Aunt May 'died' in the 400th edition of Amazing Spider-Man, which I bought 10 copies of) and was shocked last year when I stumbled across the comic where Spider-Man gave up his true identity...

7. ATLienCP

ATLienCP Member

Eh now they can just have them meet and get married again or throw in some other romantic interest. The geek always gets the girl in entertainment.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They didn't kill off Superman. He was back, alive and well, a few weeks later. To anybody who bought one of the "death" issues: "Psych."

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Was the warning really needed? I knew it was a geek thread by the use of "Spider-Man."

:D

10. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Hey! Now maybe Gwen can come back... ::)

I always thought she was 'hotter' anyway... (Yes, I'm aware she's a comic book character)

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Even when it comes to fictional character's names:

Proper grammar . . . is a priority in my life. [/obscuresixteencandlesparaphrase]

SC: Storm's power loss worked in the narrative, and I would argue it made her a stronger character. Plus, they took them away in No. 185 and didn't return them until No. 227, more than three years of comics later. X-Men comics seem to get these right more often than not. Even when they took away Wolverine's metal, it wasn't as part of astoryline where he got it back at the end; it was a matter of "let's do this and worry about the consequences and resolution later."

It wasn't some stupid short-term copout like Superman's death (or Batman's "crippling"), and it wasn't a "Oh, That was all a DREAM!!!!" type erasure of 20 years of continuity like this Spider-Man thing. The moronic depths of this include undoing Harry Osborn's death, undoing Spider-Man's unmasking, mercifully undoing the whole clone storyline (which was probably the end of the Spider-Man comic as a viable piece of fictional storytelling), etc.

Perhaps next they'll bring back Uncle Ben, and explain that he was running a rice dish company.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I still hated them taking away her powers, dammit! Do not use logic on me!

Draft saved Draft deleted