1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Spencer Davis

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake from State Farm, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Steve Winwood was 16 when he joined the Spencer Davis Group, 17 when he sang lead on this.

Correction: Wikipedia says he joined the group at 14. Geeze. Can you imagine being in a working rock band at 14?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    maumann and Jake from State Farm like this.
  3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Phil Collins’ vocals in Gimme Some Lovin’ were great.

4. Jake from State Farm

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

You bastard.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Little Stevie still going at it 54 years later

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    maumann likes this.
  7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Liverpool got the headlines, but Birmingham put out some pretty good music, too.

Spencer Davis, Traffic, Moody Blues, The Move, ELO, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, UB40.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Code:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0j6g_uUhH2c" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Not a fan of the huge use of keyboards in the 1970s and 80s, but I freaking love "See A Chance" by Steve Winwood

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="Steve Winwood - While You See A Chance - YouTube" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I took Steve Winwood to his first American football game -- a UT at Vandy game back in the mid-80s. True story.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Don't hold out --how'd he like it? Did he start to understand it at all?

A lot of people I know who've been with non-Americans at their first football games say it's usually the second or third game before they start figuring out downs, etc etc.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Winwood does not get enough credit for his career. Spencer Davis Group, Blind Faith, and Traffic, plus a solid solo career. I think that Traffic is criminally underrated.

ChrisLong likes this.
  12. Jake from State Farm

Draft saved Draft deleted