1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Sparky Anderson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Nov 3, 2010.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Would love to see the statement from the wonderful Ilitch family, since their lies helped make up Sparky's mind to retire.

2. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

My favourite Sparky quote, from 1987, just after they picked up Doyle Alexander:

"With this guy, you don't never have to worry about no walks."

3. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Sparky used to drive me nuts sometimes with some of his little foibles (certain in-game and roster decisions), but he was an absolutely unforgettable personality.

He was also legendarily great with the media, which of course didn't make him a better baseball manager, but it made him a lot of friends.

It will be a fairly awkward situation with the current Tiger management, which has basically given most of the Sparky era short shrift for the last 15 years. My guess is their tributes will be polite, respectful but restrained.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Jeez ... with this and Clyde King, can Yogi be far behind?

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

RIP

As a little kid, I used to get him and Sparky Lyle confused. I'd wonder how an old guy could play for the Yankees.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Feller can't be long for this world either.

9. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Yeah, and when I was a child of the '70s, I wondered why Dave Cash was involved in so many trades. I knew Norm Cash wasn't because I followed the Tigers, so it had to be Dave.

And, I wondered why Al Kaline had batteries named after him, but fellow Tigers like Mickey Lolich, Norm Cash, Willie Horton didn't.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Mine was always "Pain don't hurt."

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

RIP to one of baseball's true greats.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Sparky is in Cooperstown isn't he?

Draft saved Draft deleted