1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Sparky Anderson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Re: Sparky Anderson in hospice, suffers from dementia

Ok, it was a 25-year reunion.

Alcohol and sleep deprivation caused me to miss five years.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I was born at William Beaumont. We didn't stay there though...moved to Drayton Plains from Clawson like six months later.

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

'Dem was the days I grew up in - with the Big Red Machine and Fisk coaxing his homer past the foul pole and the vaunted Dodgers' infield and all the great Yankee squads.
    Good luck, Sparky.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

A classic! Jennifer tells Sparky she's a season-ticket holder and Sparky responds with her exact seat location.

My Sparky story--my senior year of high school, me and three friends took a spring training trip for spring break. Hit Lakeland to see the Tigers. Sparky had his autobiography on sale at the souvenir stands, I bought it and then tried to get him to sign before the game. An usher stopped me from getting to the dugout, as the game was close to starting. But I saw Sparky standing there and I pleaded with the usher to let me through, saying this was the only day we'd be in Lakeland.

"Catch him during the season," the usher grumbled. "I can't, I live in a National League city!" I said. This was pre-interleague play. The usher paused to process that, then took my book down to the dugout. Sparky looked up at me and signed. Still sits on the shelf.

5. Hank_Scorpio

I have a couple of his books signed. His Bless You Boys book (Diary of the 1984 season) has about 15-20 autographs from players of that era.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

He did not look well at Cooperstown this year. My wife and I both remarked that he almost didn't seem to be there. I guess we know why now. Hope he and his family find peace.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Favorite Sparky line of all time, during the '96 World Series when he asked about Thurman Munson in comparison to Bench:

"Please don't embarrass Thurman Munson by trying to compare him to Johnny Bench."

8. Hank_Scorpio

I'll always remember Sparky shouting out to Gibson during the World Series, "He don't want to walk you" while he is holding up four fingers.

Of course, Gossage gives up the home run that pretty much clinches the '84 World Series for the Tigers.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Sad news. AP is reporting that Sparky's gone. ESPN is now reporting it as I type this.

Damn damn damn.

10. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Just came across SportsCenter and the AP wire that he's passed.

RIP. One of the old guard of managers gone.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I take no joy in being prescient. R.I.P. to an icon.

12. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

What D-3 said: Damn Damn Damn. What an awesome manager and an awesome guy. He was great at what he did and had fun doing it. He represented the Tigers and Reds with class. Damn.

Draft saved Draft deleted