1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Southern Rock

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shoeless Joe, Oct 25, 2010.

1. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I remember where I was -- in my dorm room at UNC-Charlotte -- when I heard about the plane crash.

RIP the Caldwells and the Marshall Tucker Band, as well. And the hell with those clowns touring now, pretending to be the Marshall Tucker Band.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Today is the anniversary of Duane Allman's death.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I like this.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I will eat a peach in his memory

5. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I'm a huge fan of Southern rock.

Never got to see The Allman Brothers with the original lineup. I was 14 when they recorded Live at the Fillmore East. But over the years I've seen them more than 15 times, most recently at Jazz Fest in New Orleans in the spring.

They can still jam their asses off, and Derek Trucks, Butch's nephew, does bring a sense of verve and energy to an otherwise obviously aging band.

They had to get rid of Dickey Betts, and they did.

Gregg Allman still has a great voice, the rhythm section still kicks ass, and Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes complement one another just as Dickey and Duane did back in the day.

I'm with beardpuller on Marshall Tucker. Once upon a time, they were a great band. Had a very distinct sound, and a driving style on stage. The guys passing themselves off as the Marshall Tucker Band these days are not fooling anybody. At least half of the original members, I believe, are deceased.

Skynyrd was very good live, though only saw them two or three times.

Wet Willie, Molly Hatchet, Elvin Bishop, the Outlaws, they're mostly just footnotes.

But if you get the deluxe edition of "Live at Fillmore East," check out the last track. It was Elvin Bishop on stage with the Allman Brothers doing an interesting rendition of "Drunken Hearted Boy." As legend has it, while the sun was coming up.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No love for Charlie Daniels? Outlaws?

Dicky Betts now on his teeth instead of red guitar

7. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Funny you mention that Boom.

Charlie Daniels' tribute to Southern rock included a reference to Barefoot Jerry, which was a Tennessee band of some regional renown during my days at WKU.

Always found it interesting that Charlie threw some love in Barefoot Jerry's direction.

They weren't around much longer after that tribute, but a couple of their albums are pretty solid.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Always wondered who Barefoot Jerry was.

To me the last great southern rock band were the Georgia Satellites.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'd be willing to argue the Kings of Leon are a southern rock band. I don't think there's much argument that they are great.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

REM is a great band from the south but I have never looked at them as southern rock if that makes any sense. I feel the same about the Kings of Leon.

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Although they weren't in a class with the Allmans or Skynyrd, I'd say the Outlaws were a little more than a footnote. Pretty good jammin' band. Saw them several times and they were always entertaining. Best of them was one time when the Ozark Mountain Daredevils opened. Talk about an underrated band, the Daredevils were that.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

38 Special had the southern rock bloodlines and were one of the great US singles bands of the 80s.

Draft saved Draft deleted