1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Skip Caray

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Awesome.

2. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Around these parts, when the Braves make the postseason, it's tune the TV to watch, mute the sound and turn up the radio. Skip was a huge part of that.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

RIP. I've got the same memories as others here, having grown up in Atlanta. I too will always associate him with the terrible Braves teams, his wit was absolutely made for them. (Frankly, I thought Braves baseball became somewhat less fun when the playoff berths piled up in the 90s, too many bandwagon fans came out at first and then they got complacent, amazingly. But that's another thread...)

I remember one postgame wrap-up from the mid/late-80s when the team finally won one after a prolonged losing streak. Caray came on from the commercial break with a sarcastic "ah, win, win, win," like it was another day at the office for the '27 Yankees.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I think Van Weiren a couple of times quipped, "and now we're heading to Skip's favorite inning, the bottom of the fifth." I could be wrong about that though.

I heard the story a couple of weeks ago -- I think it was Van Weiren telling it -- about how there was a point when the Braves would get to the next city on a road trip and everyone was coming up to Skip and Pete asking for their autographs and nobody knew who the Braves' players were. They were nationwide household names. Biff Pocoroba or Bill Nahorodny? No so much.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

"They may have to hospitalize Sid Bream! He's down at the bottom of a huge pile at home plate!"

Thanks for posting that, DS.

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

What I love about longtime broadcasters is (for me at least) how they become part of my youth... just little snippets of summers gone by, when you thought you'd be 10 forever and that school might never end.

For me, when I hear KC's Denny Mathews on the radio, it reminds me of car rides to Happy Rock park to see my dad and his friends play softball. It's root beer with crushed ice and Guys and Kansas City life commercials on the way back.

With Skip, it's sultry summer nights, watching the Braves just because they were on (and because Mom wasn't home... a non-sports fan who married a sports nut and had two nutty sons).

Just little snippets. The Braves were just on in my house to pass the time. But it was a time when life was simpler. I miss that time.... and in a small way, hearing Skip's voice always took me back there. Bon voyage, Skip.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I remember dozing off during a Braves game for about 4 hours, then waking up to the end of the game that ended too late to have fireworks on the Fourth of July, when Rick Camp hit the homer.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Skip's line the next day: "It was the only time I ever got home at dawn with a clear conscience."

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Damn. Loved the way he called a game and, more importantly, he was absolutely awesome the few times I spoke with him.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Heard him call the 15-6 Braves loss last Sunday. I loved Skip Carey, and the TBS team with him, Sutton and Van Wieren was my favorite ever.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

wfw

Draft saved Draft deleted