1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Skip Caray

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Aug 3, 2008.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

Well put.

Days at the beach with my grandfather who played minor league ball, sitting in front of the TV watching the Braves of Murphy and Horner suck it up. Skip was as much part of the soundtrack to those trips as the waves crashing and the wind rustling the sea grass in front of the house we always rented.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

He's the reason I remember all those old Braves names. Honestly, my best friend and I will get going on those early-'90s names and have trouble stopping. I wonder how many broadcasters have that impact.

3. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

A big part of me has died, as well.

He, Pete Van Wieren, Ernie Johnson, Sr., the amazing John Ward and my dad (not a sportscaster, but often told me to hush so he could hear the radio) are the distinct voices of my youth.

My best (and only) Skip Story was when I created a public service announcement that had a baseball theme to it. Being here in L.A., Vin Scully was asked and was willing to be the voiceover. I chose Skip. It was a wonderful half hour.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

For years, those of us not close to MLB markets had two choices: WGN and Harry Caray with the Cubs or TBS and Skip Caray with the Braves.

Usually, the folks chose the Cubs, in part because of Harry and the loveable loser tag the team had (and still has). But listening to Skip was worthwhile, especially as he continued to keep humor light as the losses piled up for the Braves.

RIP Skip. You'll be missed.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Maybe this has already been said, but I'll ask anyway:

I called my dad to tell him and we know we both like the Caray's, but is Skip Chip's dad or what is the relation? We couldn't remember. We just remember listening to both of them for many, many years.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Harry, Skip, Chip right down the line.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

And according to the atlantabraves.com story, another son, Josh, who is a broadcaster for the Rome Braves.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

My teen years were spent with WTCG, and Caray & friends
    Hubie's Hustlers (the lunch-pail Hawks of Dan Roundfield, John Drew and Tree Rollins, etc. era)
    Losing lots to Philly in the postseason
    Phil Niekro doing cold, cold opening days on the mound, on the road, with those baby blue Braves unis
    Post-Chief Noc-A-Homa era, and pre-Chief
    Bob Horner's legendary 2-for-40 season-opening at-bat schneids
    Jerry Royster's infielding
    Jerry Matthews and Dale Murphy in the outfield.
    And Skip Caray & friends keeping it all so real.

RIP Skip

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

"Listen to this crowd"

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

I remember the exact same play.

They were playing San Francisco, and Jeffrey Leonard was the batter.

I spent many a summer night listening to Skip, Pete on WTBS.

RIP to a legend.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

My favorite Skip line, from back in the late 1980s, during another 100-loss season and at the midway point to make the game official:

"And now, we've reached the bottom of another fifth ..."

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That's funny just seeing it in your post.

Draft saved Draft deleted