1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Skip Caray

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Aug 3, 2008.

1. my earliest baseball experiences were narrated by he and Harry Kalas in the late 80s on WTBS and WPHL. May he Rest In Peace.

2. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Too bad. Didn't realize he was so sick. RIP.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

God, I loved listening to Skip Caray growing up.

This sucks.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Another voice of summer that you recognized like an old friend.

RIP.

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

This hits hard. Skip was a huge part of my baseball life and why I became a baseball fan. Truly a huge loss to not only the Braves, but to all of baseball.

The man could rattle off how to figure out slugging percentage better than anyone because at least once a week someone called in during the pre or post game show to ask. With a sigh, he'd say it all in one breath and move on to the next caller.

I still get chills when I hear the Bream/Cabrera call. That is probably my personal all-time sports highlight.

6. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

RIP, Skip. What sad news.

I'm not a huge baseball fan, but I did grow up listening to Braves broadcasts because of my location -- and in my region, you either listened to Braves or you just didn't follow baseball. Thanks Skip for all the memories.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The Braves are getting hammered in the eighth inning and he says, "if you promise to patronize our sponsors, you have our permission to walk the dog." (dang, fop beat me to it)

Another time, in the 70s, Rowland Office is playing center field and the Braves are in Cincinnati. Reds batter hits the ball to center and it bounces up and his Office in the pills. Caray: "Line drive left center. Whoa, left center all right..."

And his story about peeing into a cup under the table on press row in an overtime Hawks game is priceless.

He could be surly at times, and personally, I grew kind of tired of it. But even his critics must acknowledge that in his own way he shot from the hip nearly as much as his dad. That is a quality in decreasing supply it seems, and he will surely be missed.

RIP, Skip.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

"If you agree to patronize our sponsors, feel free to go out and walk your dog."

I think at some point the Braves or TBS told him not to say that anymore.

(And that, folks, is a double D_B. I don't care.)

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

He probably told them if they stopped getting the shit beat of them, he'd gladly stop using the line.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

As a listener, I would not have thought Skip would be speaking on behalf of the Braves or TBS. I would have thought he'd be speaking for himself and his broadcast partner.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

well, damn.
    I liked Skip a lot better than Chip... and almost as much as the Old Man...

12. the fop

the fop Member

I'd not heard the Rowland Office one. That is awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted