1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Sir Edmund Hillary

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Left_Coast, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't. I celebrate Pocahontas Day.

2. Your synapses are an object of my awe and wonder.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Not really. I don't think the analogy fits, Ace.

You gotta get there SOMEHOW. And Hillary got there when nobody else could, including a team that attempted to summit right before Sir Edmund and Tenzing Norgay, but were forced to turn back 300 feet from the summit.

Something else that bears mentioning about Sir Edmund. He spent countless hours raising money for a Sherpa Trust to help build schools and infrastructure for the Sherpas of Nepal.

The man was a hero -- and envelope pusher -- in every sense of the word.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

All right. I'll give it to him.

But I still think Columbus was lost.

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Has the luster of Everest been lost with all of the successful attempts recently?

6. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

Sir Ed was one of God's true gentlemen.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

By now I there probably are escalators that will get you three-quarters of the way up Everest. Hillary: Now THERE'S a climber.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Base camp is at 17,600 feet, so there are only 11,400 more to go. Not quite three-fourths, but close.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

No...just because Armstrong was first on the moon, given there were missions up to Apollo 17, did that dilute what 11 did?

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm no so sure Hillary did the deed.

Based on the black-and-white footage in that Himilayan Foundation PSA that seemingly run non-stop all of the sudden, it looks to me like the sand people from Star Wars took a detour on their Banta's and made the climb.

Kidding aside, RIP to the man who conquered the last major obstacle of our time not underwater.

11. Rumpleforeskin

My argument is thus:

A few years ago, Everest lost its luster to me because so many people have had successful attempts climbing it. It's becoming a trash heap up there from all the people going up it.

Plus, all of the modern technology is making it easier for people to climb. Even that blind Asian man got up there, which is an accomplishment in itself, but he wouldn't have been able to do it back in Hillary's time.

IMO, it's lost its luster as being unconquerable and thus, it has lost its mystique.

12. Rumpleforeskin

You're right. I have never been at Mount Everest.

But how many people have died trying to climb it and how many have successfully made it up and down?

Draft saved Draft deleted