1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Sidney Lumet

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beaker, Apr 9, 2011.

1. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

RIP Sidney Lumet. Just watched "The Verdict" for the gazillionth time last week. "12 Angry Men" is much better watched when it's a godawful humid, rainy, 85-degree night, with a couple sweaty beers. Turn off the AC and open the windows.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I had no idea that he was once married to Gloria Vanderbilt.

3. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Is it pronounced Loo-met or Loo-may? I kind of started a whole thing in the office the other night, and it never got resolved.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

It's Loo-MET.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yep. Dyno's right.

When Al Pacino was the front-runner to play Reggie Dunlop in "Slap Shot," he wanted Lumet, who had already directed him a few times, to be behind the camera on this one. Interesting to think how the film might have turned out if it had come to pass.

6. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Hmph. I said Loo-MAY. Now I feel quite the fool.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I, too, thought it was pronounced "Loo-may" for about 20 years, until I heard Pacino (or somebody) talking about him on some documentary a few years back. It's definitely pronounced "Loo-met."

8. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

“But today you are the law. You ARE the law. Not some Federal League rulebook... not the refs... not Ogilthorpe... or the trappings of the Cambria County War Memorial. Tonight we got our fans with us!
    “In my religion, they say, ‘Act as if ye had faith ... and faith will be given to you. IF ... if we are to have faith in justice, we need only to believe in ourselves. And ACT with justice. See, I believe there is justice in our hearts.
    “All right, let’s show ‘em what we got, guys! Get out there on the ice and let ‘em know you’re there. Get that fuckin’ stick in their side. Let ‘em know you’re there! Get that lumber in his teeth. Let ‘em know you’re there!”

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

I was thinking, as interesting as Pacino-Lumet might have been, the right decision was made to go with Newman and George Roy Hill. But now I'm really intrigued. :D

10. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Dog Day Afternoon and Serpico are great time capsules of `70s New York, beyond being great movies in their own right.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Having praised The Verdict earlier and having nothing useful to add to the "Network" discussion, let me point to a few others:

Fail-Safe (1964): The granddaddy of "Dr. Strangelove," I suppose. Gets a great performance from Henry Fonda and, my goodness, an interesting serious bit part for Dom Deluise. No, really. Young Larry Hagman is in there, too.

The Hill (1965): I stumbled on this one late night. And I bet you thought Sean Connery and Ossie Davis had never made a movie together. Solid prison drama.

Power (1986): Mentioned above. Gets a good performance out of Richard Gere. Great subject matter, about political consultants.

Running on Empty (1988): Wonderful cast ... River Phoenix, Judd Hirsch, Christine Lahti, etc.

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (2007): Still had it, even in his mid-80s.

Draft saved Draft deleted