1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Sid Hartman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Strib has a great special section in today's paper. Best part is Sid's first job evaluation, from 1945! Basically reads like if it was written anytime over the next 75 years. In his section Sid wrote his job was fun and "get out of my way and just let me dig up news and get it into print." While his boss wrote he was "the best news hound I have ever had in any sports department and probably the best digger in the business. Hours mean nothing to him."

There's also a fun section with the interactions he had with Minnesotans over the years.

Earlier in the week Reusse had a fun tribute/final shots at his longtime friend/target/rival that was written in pitch-perfect Sid-ese.

P.J. Fleck, Gophers fired up for Wolverines (writes new senior scribe)

Obviously knew a lot about Sid but have learned so much more in this past week and it really is a mind-boggling life and career. WCCO radio has done a great job this week as well but the Star Tribune's coverage of his life has just been incredible.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

le bump

3. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I am back home for the first time since Covid (and first time since my mom died last November, when we had to do a Zoom funeral). So while getting lost in the Minneapolis Jewish Cemetery, who should I run into but Sid. My dad would have gotten a kick out of that. I’m assuming the family is still waiting to do the headstone unveiling, which is why he just has this plastic marker.

I wonder if he requested the roadside location so he would get lots of unintentional visitors.
    9996B00D-198C-4E3E-B18C-5904F5F0F5EE.jpeg

Hermes, maumann, MileHigh and 4 others like this.
  4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I was just talking about Sid with a co-worker today, and I remembered a joke I told on the week after he died.

Sid's final gift to Minneapolis sports was dying during the middle of a truly ghastly Vikings home loss, thus getting it stuffed on an inside page.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted