1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Sid Hartman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Oct 18, 2020.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Monday's Star-Tribune sports cover:
    EkqLDHNW0AEx8IF.jpg

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

And of course making Sid's career truly absurd and unparalleled is that he was also Mikan's GM!

Machine Head likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

What a life. Rest Well.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The man covered everything, outlasted everyone. Imagine covering the 1991 World Series at 71 and having 29 more years left to go.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Yes, he made A1 too.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The Strib's full obit.

https://www.startribune.com/legendary-columnist-sid-hartman-dies-at-100/572788662/

Great stories about starting his newspaper life as a kid supporting his family by selling papers. And also a lot on his relationship with Bud Grant. A few years ago I was reading some old stories when Sid covered Bud during Bud's days as an athlete at the University of Minnesota. The ones I read were in 1948. Bud went on to a professional career as an athlete, then became BUD GRANT as a coach and then retired for a second time as a coach in 1985 and then Sid tacked on 35 more years on the job.

Machine Head and Slacker like this.
  8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Just think if 21st Century Sid had a time warp to talk to his 1950s counterpart and tell him to cook up a deal to trade the expiring contract of George Mikan to the St. Louis Hawks for the draft rights to Bill Russell.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Not to threadjack, but if that beloved dog of yours has two digits in its age, I strongly encourage you to go ahead and adopt a little bro or sis for him. It will keep him young and make the inevitable crossing of the rainbow bridge a tad more survivable for you.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yep - we did that when our bordie collie got old. That's how we got our first lab and it helped Molly tremendously. Three more years and they became best buds. And we got Ella after our second lab got old and they became inseparable.

Ella will be 12 in two weeks.

Problem is, I had a big house and huge yard then. The space I'm in now is barely big enough for the two of us, just no room for another dog. Plus, not to be maudlin, at my age I worry about bringing in another dog and then leaving it alone when I die. Ella, I think, will be my last dog.

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Secretary of the L.A.-Anaheim chapter told me Newhan is No. 2 and Waldner is No. 4.

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I just contacted Ross Newhan. Here is his response:
    "I am No 2, though I take no pleasure in becoming No. 1 under the circumstances of Sid’s passing. He was a remarkable guy, working until the last day."

Draft saved Draft deleted