1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Shirley Temple

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Pretty sure she was the child star who retold a story (on a cable show about former child stars) about a spanking she got from her father for not performing on command.
    She was the bread winner in family (obviously) and her father wanted her to perform an impromptu dance or something for some people. He put her on the stage and she refused to perfrom. After a a few minutes her embarrassed dad plucked her from the stage. He took her to the car or backstage and whaled on her backside and told Temple - in no uncertain terms - she would perform when she was told, what she was told by him.

She told the story matter-of-factly but still ...

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Went to dinner last night with some colleagues, one of whom had been raised by a foreign service dad who served under Temple, although I didn't ask which ambassadorship.

One colleague, who is 34 now, said that Temple was as nice as could be and would bring the FSO kids gifts. One time while my colleague was a kid, Temple let a bunch of kids ride in the limo going to one function. My colleague, and I've no idea how old she was at the time, got carsick and they had to stop the procession for her to get out.

Draft saved Draft deleted