1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Shav Glick

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by imjustagirl2, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Mira

Mira Member

Ed Hinton wrote this in yesterday's LA Times:

A quiet voice of reason in a very loud sport
    By Ed Hinton
    Special to The Times

October 21, 2007

Shav's passing at 87 is as shocking to me as if some other friend had died at 37. It seems so premature because Shav had come to seem so indestructible. Some years ago, I counted four life-threatening illnesses he'd beaten over the years.

Shav was tough in a gentle, often quiet way, with impeccable manners even in frantic situations. I often marveled at his patience at, for example, waiting until temperamental Formula One drivers decided to consent to be interviewed.

I don't remember Shav ever once losing his temper under fire. Indeed, I don't recall his ever even raising his voice, except when he had to in order to tell you something over the screams of the engines in the pits or garages.

He was a renowned veteran when I began covering motor racing, and that was 33 years ago. But his interests were so current and his conversations so lively that only twice did I ever sense how much older than me Shav was.

Once was when he mentioned that he'd sat beside Jackie Robinson in some of their classes in high school. The other time he, Bill Center and I were in a conversation about the bombing of Hiroshima in 1945, and Shav mentioned that he was in the Army and would have been in the ground invasion force of the Japanese home islands if atomic weapons hadn't been used.

The more it sinks in that Shav is really gone, the shock only increases rather than decreases. I'd come to take for granted that Shav would easily see 100.

Truly, Shav died young.

2. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Tribute column by Bill Dwyre:

http://www.latimes.com/news/columnists/la-sp-dwyre21oct21,1,6526222.column?coll=la-news-columns

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Solid job by Dwyre. Good stories and a great portrait of a man who will be missed.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Great column by Dwyre. I'll threadjack here and mention there was not one use of the word "I."

Draft saved Draft deleted