1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Shav Glick

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by imjustagirl2, Oct 20, 2007.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

RIP. Crossed paths with him at Pomona and twice at California Speedway after it opened. Not just a SoCal legend, but all of motor racing journalism.

2. lono

lono Active Member

Industry legend, great guy and someone who was very, very good at what he did.

RIP, Shav.

3. God Speed ... RIP to a very nice man.

4. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I was working golf's U.S. Open at Oak Hill in '89, I think. The hometown paper used to run national columnists in the left-hand well in those days. For tourney week, eight-page golf package was wrapped around the "regular" sports section. Trouble is, all of the major columnists were in town writing about the tourney.

One of the L.A. Times guys picks up the paper, leafs through it and sees Shav in the left-hand well reporting on some development on the Indy-car circuit. Picks up the phone and calls back to his office. "Hey, Shav, they think you're a god-damn columnist in this hick town."

Laughter all the way up and down press row.

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Thanks. Sorry to see it's indeed true.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Bill Dwyre has a piece on the McClatchy wire. Is it OK if I post it?

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Some more quotes shining light on Glick's life and times (thanks to the poster who sent these to me):

----------

Brian France
    NASCAR chairman:
    ‘Shav was a legendary journalist who brought a greater understanding of NASCAR, in fact all motor sports, to West Coast racing fans. Shav will be missed by all of us in the NASCAR community, but his contributions will never be forgotten.’

--------------
    Chip Ganassi,
    IndyCar and NASCAR team owner:
    ‘Shav was considered the Richard Petty of motor sports writing. He had few rivals in his field and will be sorely missed in racing paddocks across the country.’

--------------
    Rick Mears,
    four-time winner of the Indianapolis 500:
    ‘Shav will be strongly missed. He and I go way back; we had such a long history together. It’s the work that he and his colleagues have done in motor sports that has helped all of us get where we are today. He was a huge part of my career and I know that I’ll miss him greatly.’

--------------
    Carroll Shelby,
    legendary sports-car builder:
    ‘I loved Shav, this is a sad day for me. There’s never been anybody who was more passionate about the sport than Shav. And I owed him a golf game; that hurts me.’

--------------
    Helio Castroneves,
    two-time winner of the Indy 500:
    ‘I’m deeply saddened to hear about Shav’s passing. He was such a wonderful part of the motor sports community and I know he’ll be greatly missed. I always enjoyed speaking with him; his love of the sport was so apparent with every conversation and story he wrote. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.’

--------------
    Tom Compton,
    NHRA president

‘He will always be remembered as a consummate professional who loved what he did and the people he worked with.’

8. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Shav was never anything but nice to me when I ran into him. A great guy and a great writer.

9. Editude

Editude Active Member

He was motorsports in Southern California before it became flattened NASCAR and marginalized everything else.

10. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

I remember an Indy 500 after the split, maybe the first one, which would be 1996. Glick was in the old press room on Pole Day, on the phone back to Los Angeles.
    "Jim, you've got to come. That's the story!" he said, obviously telling Jim Murray that he shouldn't miss the race because of the sheer anonymity of much of the field.
    On Race Day, Jim Murray was there.

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I'd recite the famous Murray line about Indy 500, but seems wrong to say on this particular thread.

12. Mira

Mira Member

Shav was an amazing writer and legend in our field, but he was an even nicer man.

Draft saved Draft deleted