1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Shav Glick

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by imjustagirl2, Oct 20, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

A man I never had the pleasure of knowing passed away around 1 a.m. this morning. Our paths just missed each other as I came along shortly after he retired.

But I have yet in my travels heard a single word that is less than glowing. I know many people on here knew him, so I hope this thread will allow anyone who wants to do so to share a story or 10.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

RIP. Don't know much of the man, other than the name.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Met him once, the one time I covered the Indy 500. Chip Ganassi introduced me to him. Mr. Glick was very kind. That was 20 years ago. I hope the years since were good to him.

4. Always liked his work.
    RIP

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

RIP

I never got the chance to meet him, but I do know a few who worked with him at the LA Times. He'll be missed.

Nothing on the Times' web site yet but here's an old photo I found of him:

http://www.latimes.com/search/glick4_hik0k8kf,0,4299873.photo

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Here's his goodbye column from the Times:

http://www.racerxill.com/breakingnews/article/501/shav-glicks-last-column.aspx

7. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Wow.. thanks Claws for posting that.

I suggest everyone of you read it ... now that I wipe away the tears mixed with smiles.

RIP to a legend.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Feel fortunate that our paths crossed once, although I was too thickheaded to appreciate it at the time. Well-respected in racing circles and at home in Pasadena, where he got his start a half-century ago. RIP Mr. Glick.

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Shav was one of the great old-time beat writers. He and Mal Florence were significant influences to me as I was coming up in the biz. They were nuts and bolts sports writers, not flashy ... and they had little time for the Jim Murray wannabes.
    I am honored to have known him.
    RIP, Shav

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I read Mr. Glick for years and years when I lived out west. I send the regrets and regards of our small household to his family.

11. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

The press box at Pomona Drag Strip is named for him. Never met him, but I absolutely adored his columns. I was lucky enough to move to L.A. when Murray, Malamud, Shav were still around.

Totally sucks. Happy trails, Shav.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Never met him, but I always loved reading his stuff. Especially his farewell column last January.

Draft saved Draft deleted