1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Seve Ballesteros

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, May 6, 2011.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The golfing great's prognosis is very, very grave.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2011/05/seve-ballesteros-condition-worsens/1

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Re: Seve Ballesteros' condition worsens

That's a shame. A terrific golfer and very charismatic.

For a guy who played mostly in Europe, he had a big following in the States.

And, while I know he won 5 Majors, I'll remember him more as the guy who won my local tournament, the Westchester Classic, twice while I was growing up. He won that tournament in 1988 in a four way playoff.

3. Re: Seve Ballesteros' condition worsens

Sad. One of the sport's best and a great goodwill ambassador for it as well. The world will be a little less brighter when he does pass away.

4. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

I remember watching some made-for-TV event back in the early 1980s where they had top golfers play in a head-to-head format. The catch was that they could only have something like five clubs in their bag.

I seem to remember Seve beating Tom Watson, and the big deal being that Seve added an extra iron to his bag by not using a putter and instead putting with his driver/chipping from the green.

Seve was the swashbuckling, win-it-or-wear-it player that Phil Mickelson fashioned himself to be, except while Phil is often times puzzling and exasperating, Seve truly was bold and inventive.

He made birdie from the parking lot, for God's sakes...

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I've had the pleasure of following Seve for many rounds and every one was a thrill. His creativity was astounding; he might not have pulled off every one, but, damn, was it fun watching him try.

Hang in there, Seve.

6. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I remember as Seve faded over the final four holes in the '86 Masters, Ken Venturi said Seve will win a few more green jackets. Hard to believe that his dominance on American soil would soon be over after that. rmanfredi's take is spot-on ... he really was bold and inventive in his shots. I'm sad I never got to appreciate him during his prime.

A 54-year-old, famous athlete or not, should not be fighting for his or her life at such a young age.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I know a Sports Editor who was proofing a page, saw a "mistake" and sent out the fix. Paper came out with "Steve" Ballesteros winning a tournament.

8. Re: Seve Ballesteros' condition worsens

BBC News just reported at Ballesteros passed away.

Gone far too soon, but he did pass on with loved ones at his side.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

damn...

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/golf/13311206.stm

11. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

RIP Seve.

The Dashing Spaniard had style.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the title change, Shotty. Seve and Norman were probably the closest to having Tiger-type presence during their era. That he continued to be a key figure long after he stopped being a contender is a testimony to that. R.I.P.

Draft saved Draft deleted