1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Sen. Robert Byrd

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

A friend once said that Byrd would've been a great butler for James Bond. Why? Because Bond loves his martini shaken, but not stirred.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

All of that is fine except, Democrats were never quite willing to give Strom Thurmond the benefit of the doubt about his history as a segregationist and for that matter, Jerry Falwell, either, despite both men renouncing their pasts as wrong.

Funny how that works.

As for Senator Byrd he represented everything that is wrong with our system as he never met a pork project he couldn't fund and stayed around mostly because of it -- hell he will probably win the next election for his seat.....

3. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I really wanted to stay off this thread. I knew it was just gonna make me upset.
    But what the hey, here are some facts: West Virginia, where some of my relatives live, is an incredibly poor state. Sen. Byrd did try to bring as much federal money into it as he could. I don't have a big problem with that. I don't see how many fair-minded people would.
    Also, on the tiresome "you let HIM renounce his past but what about so-and-so," I would say that every situation obviously is different. I know a little bit about Strom Thurmond, actually met the man once. I respect the transformation he made. I also am aware that his experience with bigotry and really ugly racial politics ran much deeper than Sen Byrd's. Byrd never ran for president on a platform of segregation, while fathering a child with a black woman, for example. Nor did Strom apologize as completely and unequivocally as Sen. Byrd.
    Anyhow, Sen. Byrd led a long and fascinating life. People who come on here just to spew vitriol at the time of his passing are pretty sad. Even sadder are people who see the thread, admit they know almost nothing about the man or his life, but still feel the need to render a verdict.
    One thing I think the internet has removed is the way people used to feel a little embarrassed making sweeping declarations without knowing what the hell they were talking about.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Once a Klansman, always a Klansman.

5. zagoshe

Yes, yes - because running a presidential campaign as a segregationist during a time when the country was, uh, pretty much still segregated is far more offensive than dressing up in a white sheet and running around with your buddies lynching people and burning crosses...... ::)

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I have no interest in condemning Byrd.

He may have changed his stripes, repented, and begged his God for forgiveness.

And I don't think it should be surprising that someone who was born 92 years ago would have different views on race than those that prevail today -- especially in his youth.

But Zag is right, too many people here decide who they want to believe has reformed based on whether they have a D or an R after their name.

Thurmond & Helms were condemned here when both showed as much of a turn around on their racial beliefs as Byrd.

Also, can we please state the facts when discussing Byrd? He didn't join the Klan. this wasn't some passive action.
    He founded the local chapter. It was the base for his political career.

And finally, while West Virginia may have been, and may still be poor, not all of us think that justifies a Robin Hood approach of legislating in which Byrd appropriated Federal money and sent it to his home state.

Some find that worthy of criticism, not praise.

And, despite Byrd's efforts, it's my understanding that West Virginia remains a relatively poor State today.

7. zagoshe

Yes - I forgot about that part YF -- I had the same disdain for John Murtha and his pork and he is a guy who brought that federal money to my state.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Hate to say it but I actually agree with Armchair.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Wow, I didn't realize he FOUNDED a Klan chapter. That's even worse than being a member.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Damn.

11. zagoshe

Well it is Ok because he was a Democrat so he clearly became more enlightened......

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

But not enough to support The Civil Rights Act of 1964. He lead Southern Democrats to 2nd longest filibuster in history against the bill.

Draft saved Draft deleted