1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Sen. Daniel Inouye, D-Hawaii

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/sen-daniel-inouye-has-died-respiratory-complications

He was the longest-serving senator, having represented Hawaii in Congress since it became a state.

Also a World War II Medal of Honor recipient.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Great man; a shining role model for Asians in govt. when there were very few.

3. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

the guy pried a grenade out of his own blown-off arm and took out a nazi machine gun with it. super bad ass

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Amazing to think he's been part of Hawaii's delegation since the day it became a state.

5. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

This should be bigger news than it probably will be. I had the chance to very briefly meet him about a year ago. Very humble guy.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Abe Vigoda can't say that.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Among the "great man, shining role model, humble guy, war hero" tributes, shouldn't there be at least one acknowledgment that while not as corrupt as Ted Stevens (I always group Hawaii and Alaska, don't ask), he was pretty damned near close?

8. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Why do you say he's corrupt?

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well done.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I can write something that will get the "Ragu posts long" response.

This from the Washington Post: "According to the Center for Responsive Politics, in fiscal 2010, Inouye secured $392,432,850 in earmark spending, 25.3 percent of which went to campaign contributors."

That sums up who he was. He was like Robert Byrd and Ted Stevens. Back room deals in which money changed hands and earmarks went to his friends -- right till the end. He actually had the nerve to use his influence to get a bank he had the bulk of his personal assets invested in, TARP money. The FDIC had already put the kibosh on their application, and the Inouye called over, and the next thing you know he used TARP to essentially feed $135 million to a bank he owned a lot of stock in -- one that would have never gotten that hand out (as thousands of other banks like it, didn't).

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I know he's corrupt because Hawaii has interstates. :)

12. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I pretty much figured that you'd cite earmarks. I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I just don't see a huge problem with earmarks. The money is going to get spent one way or the other. Why not allow pols to get money for projects in areas they represent?

Draft saved Draft deleted