1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Scott Kalitta

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lono, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I don't know how these guys do it.
    One of the best stories I did (quality, not subject matter) was after Blaine Johnson died. His brother/crew chief/owner watched Blaine die. And then he hired another driver and kept the team going. Alan Johnson was incredibly upfront about the whole ordeal.
    I did a story on the Kalitta's, too. Good people. Is Connie still driving?
    RIP.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No, I don't think he has in years; Doug and Scott carried the ball...

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Connie retired again. He's busy managing the team and the family's cargo airline — which owns or leases an assload of cargo-model 747s — and charter service (his son Doug runs the day-to-day ops), which owns or leases an assload of Learjets and similar craft, along with some 727s and a DC-9. Not bad considering he started it with one Cessna.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'm far from an NHRA fan...I covered it twice when it came through near my old shop. The first year I did it, one of the winners was Eric Medlen, and I remember being struck by how friendly and happy he was. Even though I never even paid attention to NHRA, I remember it being like a punch in the stomach when I found out he had died. He and two local prep athletes are still the only people I've ever covered that died young...I've talked to Doug Kalitta, but not Scott. The year after Medlen died, I did a piece with his teammate Robert Hight that talked about bouncing back from something so horrible. I can't imagine what the Kalittas are going through right now. Just awful.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

NHRA people are, for the most part, far and away the best group I've ever dealt with professionally - from the people in the organization down to the drivers. I remember an accident in qualifying when they were in town once and the media guy sprinting - yes, sprinting - down the track to get details for a quick report to the media. The report was updated several times during the day. A far cry from their NASCAR brethren. When Jerry Nadeau had his career-ending wreck here, the silence was deafening. One NASCAR big wig who has a clue had to pull me aside and tell me he couldn't say anything officially but to be ready. Fortunately, Nadeau survived but we at least knew it was very serious.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Kalitta's freight airline filed for bankruptcy earlier this year.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Things like airplanes breaking in half will do that.
    http://www.gadling.com/2008/05/25/boeing-747-breaks-in-half-during-takeoff-in-brussels/

8. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

And to the family and friends who can see it over and over on youtube. Jesus.

From NHRA racer Doug Herbert losing his two sons to Scott Kalitta losing his life ... so horribly tragic.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Just to clarify, Doug is Scott's cousin, so he couldn't be Connie's son.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Too right. :-[

11. I withdraw my previous statement ... after seeing the crash and fireball - HOLY KRONK!!!!!!!

12. lono

lono Active Member

Per Jones's amazing story, Kalitta Air is one of the companies flying home the bodies of dead soldiers from the war.

Draft saved Draft deleted