1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Scott Kalitta

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lono, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Stone Cane, that figures. AP doesn't staff or string drag racing. It takes press releases and agate from NHRA.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I just saw this for the first time on youtube.. my fucking god....

and yeah, the runoff area looked horribly short. Fatally so, in fact...

3. Notepad

Notepad Member

I'm not into any sort of motorsports and I feel awful for the guy and his family. It is a shame.

But, I mean, when you are in a vehicle that runs on nitromethane and methanol and travels 300 mph, isn't death a very real and assumed risk?

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That was absolutely horrific. If nothing else, at least he didn't suffer. It was pretty darn quick.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's on YouTube already?!

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

several times...

7. markvid

markvid Guest

Yes, it is...
    If you notice, too, whomever the ESPN camera op that was on that cherry picker at the end of the track is very lucky to be alive.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Saw that too... the way the arm rocked after the crash is amazing.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Very, very real. Watching NASCAR nowadays, between the energy-absorbing walls, head-and-neck devices and the safety-enhanced new car (a project conceived in the wake of Earnhardt's death), one could daydream that perhaps there may never be another death in Sprint Cup racing in the course of an ordinary event. At least the odds are greatly, greatly reduced.

Drag racing's another beast entirely. Take nothing away from NHRA, today's cars are the safest ever. John Force and others have busted their asses for the past year after Eric Medlen's death to make nitro cars safer, and it's not like they were tin cans before that. But "nitro" is the operative word. It seems like blown engines and those fireballs bring so many other elements into play.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

You know what, too, more I look at that, since that was qualifying, and given the fact that the whole incident was just from one camera, they may not have had anyone down there. I'll send an email to the producer and let you guys know what happened.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And Sportscenter leads with the Angels-Phillies instead of an event they televised... amazing....

12. markvid

markvid Guest

That doesn't bother me.
    It's not a huge name, putting it first would just be sensationalistic.

Draft saved Draft deleted