1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Scott Kalitta

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lono, Jun 21, 2008.

1. lono

lono Active Member

Sad, sad news:

ENGLISHTOWN, N.J. (AP) — Scott Kalitta died Saturday when his Funny Car crashed and burst into flames during qualifying for the Lucas Oil NHRA SuperNationals at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park.

State police confirmed that the 46-year-old Kalitta, a two-time Top Fuel champion who had 18 career victories, was killed in the accident.

Witnesses told The Star-Ledger of Newark that Kalitta's Toyota Solara was traveling at an estimated speed of 300 mph when the crash occurred.

The Palmetto, Fla., resident started his career at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park in 1982. His father, Connie Kalitta, was a longtime driver and team owner known as "The Bounty Hunter," and his cousin, Doug Kalitta, also drives competitively.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Oh, no. Not again.

RIP to one of the good guys in drag racing.

3. Hustle

Hustle Guest

They just showed the replay... My God, it was awful. RIP Scott & many prayers to his family.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Damn. RIP.

5. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Damn, that was horrific!

Paul Page and company are having a hard time keeping it together.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I heard about this when I stopped into the office, headed home and my TV happened to be on ESPN2, so I rewound the live TV the 30 minutes it had saved.

It started just before the replay. That was just horrifying.

May the Kalittas handle this as well as possible. Just stunning.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fuckity fuck fuck... I know him. Used to cover him at two newspapers and on an auto racing website and a guy I used to work with's wife was his nanny once upon a time...
    Damn... RIP.. damn...

8. imjustagirl

Also, for anyone who may read this thread that has not seen the accident: If you are in any way bothered by fire (that's probably the way I most fear dying), DO NOT WATCH THE VIDEO.

I wish I could unsee it.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

RIP. What a great drag racing family.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

She is not kidding. If you're phobic about it ...

Damn. That was one helluva wreck.

Kalitta had retired twice and kept coming back.

He leaves behind his wife Kathy and two sons: Corey, turns 15 in eight days, and Colin, 8.

11. Horrible crash. Tragic loss.

That said... "died at the medical center", my ass.

12. imjustagirl

Omar, as I was discussing with someone in a PM: I hope that is not the case. God, how I hope it was instant.

Draft saved Draft deleted