1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Sam Wyche

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 2, 2020.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Wyche was a great storyteller. He would fill in details and give amazing insights. Also, would say whatever was on his mind. Some stories.

— Wyche was speaking at some luncheon, but my editor didn’t want to cover it so I went on my own. Wyche gets a call just before his speech is to start, steps out, comes back in ashen. Takes the dais and simply said he had just been told Bill Walsh wasnt going to make it through the night. My editor didn’t use that story because I was there on my own money and he would have to reimburse me for working.
    — Wyche got injured at the end of his college career and ended up as a grad assistant at South Carolina. He often claimed the only reason he made the Bengals was he made sure to always throw the ball when scouts came to look at receivers.
    — despite his class clown persona, the man had a brilliant offensive mind. Paul Brown kept Wyche’s notebook/playbook from his first season because it was so meticulously done.
    — boogers. He claimed that throwing a football required the same spin as flicking a booger.
    — I’ve read that he and Dwight Clark practiced “the catch” all week leading up to the 1981 NFC championship game. He said he felt it would be needed.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Seriously, dude.

Liut likes this.
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Guess if you're going to lose it, lose it in a way for the ages.

4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Gannett.

Liut likes this.
  5. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

When we had that thread a few weeks ago about one-and-done coaches, Wyche struck me as the poster child for two-and-done.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Changed the game. No rinky-dink high school would be running a no-huddle today if he hadn't had the boldness to do it.
    They called him Wicky-Wacky, then they copied him. And worse, some of them took the credit for inventing it.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Say no more ...

8. 3_Octave_Fart

Also an amateur magician. There was no coach like him.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Man, what a kick in the gut to start 2020. Always liked Wyche and was pulling hard for the Bengals in XXIII just to end the 49ers juggernaut. And the Cleveland speech, well, it stands out.

RIP.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Had no idea Wyche was on the staff of the Niners. RIP.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I was going to guess Ogden or Dean Singleton.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

The league has no mad scientists anymore like this - it's one of the reasons it sucks a fat one.

Draft saved Draft deleted