1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Sam Wyche

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I hope he didn't end up in Cleveland bc that'd be awkward.

RIP

3. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Even though I’m a Steelers fan I always liked Wyche. Maybe because I always liked Super Dave Osborne and thought they looked a lot alike. But probably mainly because of his “You don’t live in Cleveland” performance, which is an all-timer.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

He no longer lives in Cleveland or Cincinnati. Because someone had to say it.

Killick and Chef2 like this.
  5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I always thought they cast someone on Coach who looked like SamWyche.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

To this day, one of the best soundbites ever. His inflection - perfect *chef's kiss*

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Man, this sucks. I'm a lifelong Bengals fan and was a teenager in the late '80s when Wyche tussled with Cleveland, Jerry Glanville and, oh yeah, was a damned good coach that should have won the Super Bowl (damn you Stanley Wilson and that disgraceful field in Miami). And a fine guy. RIP.

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Man, the Grim Reaper is really getting a head start for 2020 in the sports realm. Like everyone else, I'll always remember him for that Cleveland insult over the PA. May not have been the greatest head coach ever, but seemed like a good guy who didn't take himself that seriously. One other moment I remember was during the player introductions for Super Bowl XXIII (back when they brought out the players individually). Right before they announced his name for him to come out onto the field, he got down in a three-point stance like he was ready to put on the helmet and pads himself.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Grew up a Rams fan but also liked Wyche and the Bengals ... loved James Brooks ... LOVED their '80s helmets.

They came so fucking close to beating the Montana 49ers. That had'to've haunted him till his final breath.

[​IMG]

10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

He also coached the Bucs for a couple of years

11. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Always liked him. I thought he handled himself really well post game after Super Bowl XXIII and if watching Joe Montana rip your heart out and gleefully dance on it isn't enough to make to re-think sportsmanship immediately after the final buzzer than I don't know what is.

12. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

In his words he started a season "Five-dash-two" which was a hell of an accomplishment for that team at that time. Of course they finished seven-dash-nine

Draft saved Draft deleted