1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ryan Freel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Former MLB infielder, most notably with the Reds, commits suicide at age 36:

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/topstories/article/288484/483/Former-Big-Leaguer-from-Jax-Ryan-Freel-Dead-at-36

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Holy shit.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Damn. RIP.

And with that coming from a radio report at 9:42, I'm wondering how long it will take for AP to catch up with the news.

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

When he was just breaking in, I used to go to a handful of Reds games a year (usually when they were playing the Cubs). Even though I'm a blue-blooded Cubs fan, Ryan Freel quickly became one of my favorite players because of the way he went after every ball and covered so much ground (and could play virtually every position). He played with such enthusiasm. He did briefly play for the Cubs (which increased my appreciation factor for him even more) on the last legs of his career.

RIP. Awful to hear this news.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Damn I remember when he was a Jays prospect of some promise. I saw him play years ago in Ottawa for the Louisville Bats.

RIP.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

7. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Wow, that sucks. Best to his family and friends.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Echoing what Buck said: holy shit.

He was one of my favorite players growing up.

RIP.

9. MLancaster

MLancaster New Member

As far as I can tell, AP still hasn't moved a word on this. A day later. Curious.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

What a surprise bit of news. Holy cow... went to a few Reds games and thought the same of Freel. Good, blue-collar hard worker. RIP, right at Christmas... very sad.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Freel basically had to retire from concussions, one of which happened when he was hit in the head by a pickoff throw. So perhaps this is unsurprising when you really think about it.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Trent Rosecrans and Marc Lancaster wrote a very nice tribute/remembrance on CBSSports.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-baseball/21444808/remembering-ryan-freel

Draft saved Draft deleted