1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Rue McClanahan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dyno, Jun 3, 2010.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Bea apparently didn't like Betty White:

When we came to Betty White, Bea said, "I couldn't stand her." At first I thought she was kidding and didn't quite know what to say so I just asked her why. "Because," she said in that throaty drawl of hers, "she was a pussycat." I remembered hearing a story years and years ago about how 'someone' used to take dumps in Betty's trailer's bathroom and never flush. It was often rumored to be Bea. Apocryphal or not, after that day at her house I thought it might be true.

http://wherehotcomestodie.blogspot.com/2009/04/bea-arthur-was-anyone-funnier.html

(Modified to thank the mods for changing the c-word; my mistake.)

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Conrad Bain was "married" to both of them - to Dixie on "Diff'rent Strokes," and to Rue on "Maude."

His co-stars are dropping like fucking flies. If I'm Charlotte Rae, I'm making sure my life insurance is paid up.

And RIP, Rue.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

In honor of Blanche Devereaux will the lid of Rue's coffin be shaped like a headboard?

4. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

DoubleJ, I forgot that Mr. Drummond was married to Dixie in the later years of "Diff'rent Strokes."

What ever happened to Dudley, Arnold's buddy??? He must be around.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Thanks Double J. I'm happy to learn he's doing okay.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I always remember watching the show as a kid, then one season premiere, they were going to have Blanche announce she was pregnant.

There was all sorts of hype about the show, then it turned out, she was having menopause.

I stopped watching the show shortly after.

RIP. It was a fine show, and she was an excellent actress.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

According to the E! True Hollywood Story, Arthur was the reason the show didn't continue. I don't think she liked that the other characters were far more popular than hers, even though she was technically the star of the show.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Not the first time that creative tension helped make a show great. The Andy Griffith Show had one of the great ensemble casts in television history but apparently Aunt Bea hated everyone else on the show and the feeling was mutual towards her in return.

11. Aunt Bea was a bitch ...

I had forgotten about the Golden Girls spinoff.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Wasn't the show with the Joe Isuzu guy also a spinoff of sorts?

Draft saved Draft deleted