1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ron Silver

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pressmurphy, Mar 15, 2009.

1. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Jed Bartlett needs a new strategist.

Killed by cancer, NY Post says.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03152009/news/regionalnews/ron_silver_dies_159710.htm

2. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

His father is the DISTRICT ATTORNEY!

RIP.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Wow. Ron was a big supporter of Rudy's mayoral campaigns. He attended all the big events, often serving as the MC.

Rudy even named him "Chairman" of the City's Millennium celebrations.

I hadn't seen him in years and had no idea he was sick.

4. Wow. I didn't know was battling cancer.
    I guess he got what he deserved for backing the Republican after Bartlett.
    But in all seriousness, I'll miss him. He was a good actor.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He was... will be missed

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Wow. Didn't see that one coming. Funny, before West Wing, he was known (to me, at least) mostly for playing psychos and bad guys. RIP. Loved his turn as the uber-strategist on TWW. That's two gone from the cast already (three, if you count the gun nut from the Police Academy movies, who played a military advisor for a few eps).

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Loved him in Semi-Tough as the kicker, as Dershowitz in Reversal of Fortune.
    The guy was the Vinnie "Microwave" Johnson of any show he was on - instantly kicked it up a notch.
    The definitive Gianelli quote: "Because I'm tired of working for candidates who make me think that I should be embarrassed to believe what I believe, Sam! I'm tired of getting them elected! We all need some therapy, because somebody came along and said, "'Liberal' means soft on crime, soft on drugs, soft on Communism, soft on defense, and we're gonna tax you back to the Stone Age because people shouldn't have to go to work if they don't want to!" And instead of saying, "Well, excuse me, you right-wing, reactionary, xenophobic, homophobic, anti-education, anti-choice, pro-gun, Leave It To Beaver trip back to the Fifties...!", we cowered in the corner, and said, "Please. Don't. Hurt. Me." No more. I really don't care who's right, who's wrong. We're both right. We're both wrong. Let's have two parties, huh? What do you say?

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Wasn't he originally one of Ann Romano's boyfriends on ODAAT?

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't see it on his IMDB page.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0798779/

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I remember Ron Silver mostly for playing the nutball bad guy in Blue Steel with Jamie Lee Curtis.
    Darned good actor.
    RIP.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Good actor. His name always makes me think of the "... father is the district attorney" promos for "Skin," which was canceled after one or two episodes. Sad to see him go.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My bad. He was on Rhoda. Got my CBS single moms mixed up.

Draft saved Draft deleted