1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ron Fraser, legendary Miami baseball coach

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hank_Scorpio, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Three losses for the baseball world this weekend.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130120/SPORTS0203/301200333/Legendary-Miami-baseball-coach-Ron-Fraser-dies-he-innovative-promoter?odyssey=mod

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Dang!!

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Mostly covered MLB but covered a CWS he was at.
    R.I.P.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Oh wow. One of the good guys in college baseball. Always had a who's who roster. RIP

5. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Created one of the best trick plays in baseball. The step-off, fake throw, all the fielders react, runner caught in no-man's land. Affectionately called the Miami play to this day. Got Wichita State in the College World Series. Even had the bat girls involved in the deception.

http://blog.gamechanger.io/post/2484494913/the-grand-illusion-and-the-art-of-the-hidden-ball-trick

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Remember him from Miami's visits to Florida State. He'd play along with the Section B Animals, doing a skip step or something like that when they'd do the "march to the dugout" chant.

Had no idea of his history before Miami, but he was THE man in college baseball. But I didn't know FSU put him into its Hall of Fame. That's awesome.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

He graduated from FSU.
    It might have been well-deserved even if he had not. Fraser and Mike Martin did a lot to make college baseball somewhat relevant.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

He graduated from FSU.
    [/quote]

I did not know that. Turncoat!

Man, I have many a memory of those FSU-Miami games. My mom's company's season tickets were on the front row over the visitor's dugout. That was an awesome series.

Draft saved Draft deleted