1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Ron Carey

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by lantaur, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

From what I can tell, he's alive.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

OK, cos someone didn't list him among the living earlier.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Then make sure you don't cross him off the list.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I thought I read where Ron Glass died last year, thus why I excluded him from the list.

Checking IMDb now.

UPDATE: IMDb does show Ron Glass as currently among the living. My sincerest apologies to Mr. Glass and his family. But I guess I can now call him the African-Americans' Abe Vigoda. :D

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

It was only fitting that Levitt was finally promoted to detective in the final episode. RIP.

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

"New Better Cheddars, sourdough-baked right-in"

One other movie I remember him in during the '80s: "Fatso" with Dom DeLuise as a man trying to lose weight at the urging of mom after an obese relative dies. Carey played his brother.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Dude, you just made all of us 30 and under look bad (I'll forgive you).

When I was a toddler, I would be playing with my toy fire truck and anytime I heard that bass riff, I drop my truck and waddle my little ass in front of the television to watch Barney Miller. I burned the opening on a CD, to show on how much I love that theme song.

Harris, Wojo, Fish, Dietrich, Inspector Lugar, Levitt, and of course Mrs. Barney Miller (Barbara Barrie) were more popular and better than Hal Linden, who was the "star" of the show. It was one of the greatest ensemble cast in television history (I stress one of the greatest). Anyone on that show was "a star" on a particular episode(s). If it wasn't Fish and his home life, it was Wojo being a smart ass. If it wasn't Harris and his grooming, it was Barney and his wife talking about their marriage and his job.

Levitt was the comic relief that weaved in and out of the series and will forever endear die-hards to the great talent Barney Miller had.

8. patchs

patchs Active Member

Once the show dropped Barney's homelife, and just focused on the squad room, it hit its apex.

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Had to hear it -- the theme song, from the later years.

Draft saved Draft deleted